Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
So now I went and deactivated Windows 2000 ACPI. I had problems with stability due to IRQ sharing. I think the problem is fixed now! Thanks for the help guys! :)
Now I got another problem. My Windows 2000 won't shut down. I just get the message "U Can Now Turn Of Your Computer". It did not do that before. How do I reactivate this feature without having to reactivate ACPI???? Can it be done???
Thanks goes to all in this community!

G

Isn't that the point when you hit the Power button on your machine, or swith off at the mains/unplug? It's like the old 'It's now safe to turn off your computer' that you got in W95/98/ME/NT and sounds perfectly normal.

You may not have seen this before, because the monitor switched itself off before the message came up?

Saying that, many people I know that have W2K running never actually restart their machine, because it's generally such a stable OS. I wouldn't worry too much about this, and I don't think it has anything to do with ACPI. (Not that I'm an expert or anything!) :)

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ACPI was controlling the auto power off, to me, it's the only drawback ininstalling ACPI.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I have heard that AVPM or APM (Advanced Power Management) can make the computer turn of by itself. Can I get it to do it somehow without having to reactivate ACPI? I do need to turn of my machine sinces i sleep right next to it and i got "plenty" of coolers and airflow through it - hence lots of noise! :)
In short can I get my computer to turn of without ACPI activated?

G

I have a few small neat programs that can turn off my computer:
1) Getright [and some other downloaders.] Just schedule them to hang up your modem at a specific time and to turn off your computer at the same time. Getright turns the computer of even if the computer is not connected to the Net [I am not sure about others.]

2) A Winamp plugin called WinampSwitch. It turns off the computer when the playlist ends when you set Winamp to no repeat.

3) A freeware called Exits 95/98. I have not tested it in ME but it doesn't work in 2000. It has many nice shutdown , reboot, etc. options with a scheduler.

I think you can figure out 1, and I can send you 2 or 3 by email. Just send me a private message with your email... You can also download 2 from Winamp.com.

J