I updated BIOS, but HD space problem is not solved. Why??

G

I updated BIOS to the latest version (1012) , BUT BIOS still CAN'T dectect the rest of 9 G of HD space. BIOS can only dectect about "31" G just like before.

What should I do??? What settings should I change in BIOS??

btw, I have

ASUS P2B 440 BX mother board
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
WIN ME running on that PC

anyone can help?

thanx

agpport

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
On many harddrives there is a jumper that limits the available space to xx GB. I thought it was 38 GB´s but it could be closer to 30... See if you got one of those.

Also, have you partitioned your harddrive? It could be that you have unallocated space.

If this is the case you could remedy it by running FDISK and removing all partitions and then making it one big C: and see if works.

I think FAT 16 makes worse use of the HDD than FAT32 but if youre running WinME then you would use FAT32...

Good luck!

G

I had problems with fixing my partition sizes with fdisk in the past... you might want to try using the linux partitioning tools if nothing else works. You don't need to know anything about linux to do it... just start an installation, and you'll be given the opportunity to re-partition your disk. Dump all your partitions, recreate them, then shut down your machine and install windows on them.

Hope it helps

SW