Linksys software

rocco

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

Got a problem with some wireless adapter software. I installed it along with
the adapter and everything worked so-so for awhile and then stopped working.
I then wanted to uninstall and re-install to see if that would fix it. Used
the uninstall file that it suggested I use to uninstall and everything
seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall and it a window
popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for this device and
that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I looked in 'add/remove
programs and it wasn't there. I looked in the 'program files' directory and
saw no folder with the Linksys name. I ran msconfig and saw nothing in the
startup. I looked in process..nothing. I used a registry cleaner..nothing. I
used 'regedit' to find files with Linksys, WLAN, WRT54GS, and Broman and
deleted all associated files. I even went to a 'DOS' window to look for the
folder..nothing. I cannot reinstall until the system is cleared of all
associated files obviously. And I did check the Device Manager for
drivers..and nothing again.
Don't know what else to try. I am down to a 'wipe and reload' or...not? Any
ideas? Thanks
in advance for any help.

Rocco

If your are running XP you can do a system restore back to an earlier
checkpoint, maybe even back before you installed it the first time.
Works great. Bear in mind that if you have installed any programs after
the chckpoint date that you go back to you will have to reinstall them.
It wont touch regular files. I got my wireless adapter hosed and that
was my only option even after deinstall and reinstall.
System restore is under
Program/accessories/system tools.

rocco

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that I tried a system
restore without success because there wasn't a restore point before the
software was loaded and actually there were only two restore points period.
I don't know why, but that leads me to believe that there is something else
wrong in the computer, or maybe in windows. That's odd and aggravating. Any
other thoughts? Last resorts? I need to get this done very soon. Thanks
again.
Rocco

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> If your are running XP you can do a system restore back to an earlier
> checkpoint, maybe even back before you installed it the first time.
> Works great. Bear in mind that if you have installed any programs after
> the chckpoint date that you go back to you will have to reinstall them.
> It wont touch regular files. I got my wireless adapter hosed and that
> was my only option even after deinstall and reinstall.
> System restore is under
> Program/accessories/system tools.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:05:41 -0500, Rocco spoketh

>Thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that I tried a system
>restore without success because there wasn't a restore point before the
>software was loaded and actually there were only two restore points period.
>I don't know why, but that leads me to believe that there is something else
>wrong in the computer, or maybe in windows. That's odd and aggravating. Any
>other thoughts? Last resorts? I need to get this done very soon. Thanks
>again.
>Rocco

Download the newest drivers from their website and unzip it to somewhere
on your harddrive.

Go to the Properties page of the wireless card (either through the
Device Manager or any other means of getting there)

Select the Driver tab, and click update driver.

Select "have disk" and navigate to where you unzip the drivers.

Pick the correct card from the list and install the drivers.

Configure Windows to manage your wireless connection.

---

The Linksys software for managing the wireless card is somewhat bloated,
problematic and unnecessary. It also does stuff that it shouldn't have
to do (like attempt to set the time on your system from _their_
servers). The MS Client works just fine, so all you need are really the
drivers...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Go to their website and find their 1-800 support line. They should be able
to walk you through it.

http://www.linksys.com

"Rocco" <noway@paisan.com> wrote in message
> Got a problem with some wireless adapter software. I installed it along
> with
> the adapter and everything worked so-so for awhile and then stopped
> working.
> I then wanted to uninstall and re-install to see if that would fix it.
> Used
> the uninstall file that it suggested I use to uninstall and everything
> seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall and it a
> window
> popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for this device and
> that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I looked in 'add/remove
> programs and it wasn't there. I looked in the 'program files' directory
> and
> saw no folder with the Linksys name. I ran msconfig and saw nothing in the
> startup. I looked in process..nothing. I used a registry cleaner..nothing.
> used 'regedit' to find files with Linksys, WLAN, WRT54GS, and Broman and
> deleted all associated files. I even went to a 'DOS' window to look for
> the
> folder..nothing. I cannot reinstall until the system is cleared of all
> associated files obviously. And I did check the Device Manager for
> drivers..and nothing again.
> Don't know what else to try. I am down to a 'wipe and reload' or...not?
> Any ideas? Thanks
> in advance for any help.
>
> Rocco

Rocco <noway@paisan.com> wrote:
> seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall and it a window
> popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for this device and
> that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I looked in 'add/remove

There are drivers installed under \Windows, possibly .inf files also.

Sometimes the installation media can be unzipped to the point where you can
see the names of the .inf files and .dll files. Evne if there is a .exe
file, try to unzip it. Some installations are done via installshield cabs
which you can't view as easily.

You might be able to see the name by looking in control
panel-system-hardware-device manager, properties-device driver for the
card.

Look for a C:\WINDOWS\inf\*.pnf file that was created about the same time
as the card was installed. The name will be the same as some .inf file
that contains information about your card. The .inf file contains
information about the name of the driver.

You could remove all of the associated files under \Windows. It might be
sufficent to remove (or move) the .pnf and .inf file.

--
---

I found a linksys.inf file and deleted that . I then downloaded an installed
the new driver and it worked fine for about half a day and then I turned it
off and turned it back on and there were two Linksys icons in the systray
where there should have been just one and then the connection was
intermittent at that point. He had to have the laptop back, so out of
frustration and lack of more time to try to figure it out, I had to 'wipe
and reload' everything and then installed the updated driver and let windows
handle the wireless network....and it works fine....for now. Thanks for all
of the suggestions. You guys got it going on.

Rocco