BluesPwr1009

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I very recently installed Windows XP Pro on my machine (withing the past week) and I had to call Microsoft to activate it. Would changing my motherboard force me to reactivate it if I kept the rest of the hardware the same?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BluesPwr1009 on 05/15/05 08:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
More than likely after you swap the mobo you will have to reinstall the OS...which will of course require activation.

....WW (5.1)

G

The short answer is yes. Or, at least probably. Some people have had some luck changing motherboards without re-installing windows. But, I think more probably have had bad luck. You can try it and see if it works. If it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Why did you have to call to activate it? It didn't work over the internet? Just curious.

BluesPwr1009

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I bought an OEM version of Windows XP Pro on ebay, which was supposed to never have been activated. It was sealed and everything and came with a product key and COA. But when I went to activate it, it said something like product key had already been activated. So I had to call them to get it activated. I am afraid if I activate it again so soon, I'll have to buy a new COA or product key or something. I wonder if there is a way to check the number of activations left on the software.

G

Ahh.. Ebay! That's why I won't ever buy software there. I don't know, I think you might be O.K. now though. I think your allowed to change out like four components in three months, or something like that, before you have to call in to activate it.

riser

Illustrious
Never buy that kind of stuff off Ebay. You can't trust people like that.. You're better off just shelling out the extra cash and buying it out of the store.
I'm sure a lot of people do buy the software and it's fine.. but there is always someone out there waiting to prey on you.

dfw24

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009

You can call Microsoft Customer Service @ 800/936/5700 and find out. I bought a Xp disc just like yours and Windows would not activate. I called C.S. and they said it had been activated over 100 times!