FIC AD11 Double Disaster

G

I've had two FIC AD11 mainboards blow out on me in a row after only a few weeks operation each. Both showed escalating problems (different) and ultimately failed completely.

Is this me, or are other people having similar problems?

Bob

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
can you relate to us the chronological order of events that took place before each of the boards died?
it could be other factors other than the board.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
I too have had issues with the AD-11... I found that running @ 133MHz FSB wouldn't let me boot into windows or anything... problem still isn't solved, but that's not the only problem, I've had a faulty fan head (leading to a crispy CPU/mobo combo), and, what was described to me by the 'pros' as a "wonky mobo"...

I don't have any insight, just lots of sympathy... Like I said, I had my 1.4 Athlon running @ 1050, and then @ 1133 (@133FSB), but brought it in for service yesterday... no word yet. FIC definately hasn't made a repeat customer out of me.

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
I'm not sure if you solved your problem with the mobo, but after going through three AD-11's that neither I or "tech support" (term used loosely) could solve, I got a new mobo. That's my best solution... sorry... mine totally hated teh 133FSB too. :\
The multiplier on autodetect kept slipping down on me, the fans head died, etc... just a bad piece of board.

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>

G

Very interesting.

One of mine wouldn't access the floppy interface and had ever increasing aborts until one day it crashed and wouldn't restart even with the ENTER key down.

The other never ran at full speed (1.33Ghz became 1.0 Ghz) and wouldn't handle 133 Mhz memory at all. It ran fine in other respects,though, so I put up with it until I rebooted one day and in seconds got an acrit electric burn smell. The little fan on the northbridge chip had apparantly stopped working and the chip fried. The CPU was fine. The board was dead.

I'm suspicious as to whether these boards ever actually passed quality control tests.

Bob

G

i find these problems very strange considering the AD11 was the first board to be AMD approved for the 1.4ghz, and not that many boards are approved for that (compared to lower speeds).