both wired and wireless routers in series

peter

I have a WAN in a 4 story, house but the wifi signal only reaches one
half (the rear end) of the house. The current setup is: telephone
plug with ADSL signal on the 3rd floor rear -> cable modem -> SMC
wireless router. Since the signal seems unreliable the two uppper (3rd
and 4th floor) PCs are hardwired to the router via ethernet. a laptop
on the 1st and 2nd floor connects via wifi. The problem is the range
is limited and the performance shakey.

can I modify the setup to insert a cheap wired-only router between the
modem and the wifi router? If so I would get better wifi signal
acrosss floors 2 and 1.

so I would wind up with: telephone plug -> wired-only router (to which
the 2 box PCs would connect via ethernet) -> long extension ethernet
from 3rd floor to second floor where a wifi router would serve floors
2 and 1?

otherwise how can I do this? give wired service to the upper floor PCs
and have a wireless access point lower down.

many thanks

Peter Stock

You can do this, just have the wired router handle the DHCP and turn
off the DHCP server in the wireless router. The wireless router
essentially becomes a switch with an AP. Plug the wired router into a
lan port on the wireless router. There are other ways to do it but if
you want the same subnet, this will work