CD drivers not loading after format

bokuden13

Feb 28, 2004
Repartitioned my drive, reformatted, and now when I try to boot from my 98SE disc it gets almost there and then tells me that the necessary CD drivers are not found or that the CD drives themselves are not found. Depending on whether I attempt to boot from a startup disk or the CD, the computer is saying I'm missing one of the following drivers: OEMCD001 or MSCD001.

I've tried different versions of boot disks (like from www.bootdisk.com) but I cannot start this thing with CD-ROM support no matter what I do. This is a slight problem! If anyone can help, I'd much appreciate it.

One final note, I have a non-bootable XP upgrade CD I intended to use after installing 98SE. I'm told that if I get a full copy of XP Home or Pro, then that should take care of my problems. I don't really have to buy this OS again do I?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
This sounds like a hardware problem as you have covered all other causes/options.

Q1) Reformat again with a fresh/new download bootdisk from another website and match it to the 98SE version.

Check that all opticle and floppy drive cables are connected securely - remove and plug in again usually corrects high resistance socket connections.

Have you got a another opticle drive that you can try - $10 or less for a used CDRom at PC stores.

Q2) The problem should'nt occur anyway with 98. Probably will occur with XP. No need to buy full XP.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>