How does one back up a partition?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ok I know how to do it to a local disk but there seems to be a serious
problem in creating an offsite backup.

The goal is to create an offsite backup of partitions for several machines.

To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make sense,
but there is a shortcoming. Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
work in dos for ntfs partitions. This means that in order to restore a bad
partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost or
Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.

My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If this
is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image won't
recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs partition
created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that they function
in dos.

Nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

See link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Fbackup2.asp
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Backup/default.htm
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020120a.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

"Nick Mirro" <nmirro@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> Ok I know how to do it to a local disk but there seems to be a serious
> problem in creating an offsite backup.
>
> The goal is to create an offsite backup of partitions for several
> machines.
>
> To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
> portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make sense,
> but there is a shortcoming. Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
> work in dos for ntfs partitions. This means that in order to restore a
> bad partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost
> or Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.
>
> My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If
> this is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image
> won't recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs
> partition created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that
> they function in dos.
>
> Nick

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Drive Image when booted from CD can recognize an external USB drive and
probably firewire as well) and restore an image from it.

I'm actually doing that as we speak. Here's the process:

I used Disk Image Version 7 to back up the image of an NTFS partition of a
Dell laptop to an external USB drive. I replaced the Dell Hard drive,
booted the laptop using the DI bootable CD. I selected to restore image.
DI sees the USB drive and allows me to select the source image there. It is
presently restoring it to the new laptop hard drive. (painfully slowly, I
might mention, since the laptop is USB 1)

I believe Ghost has similar capability. Of course, you need up to date
versions. If you're looking at something that has no NTFS support, it's
probably an old version.

--

"Nick Mirro" <nmirro@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> Ok I know how to do it to a local disk but there seems to be a serious
> problem in creating an offsite backup.
>
> The goal is to create an offsite backup of partitions for several
> machines.
>
> To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
> portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make sense,
> but there is a shortcoming. Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
> work in dos for ntfs partitions. This means that in order to restore a
> bad partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost
> or Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.
>
> My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If
> this is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image
> won't recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs
> partition created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that
> they function in dos.
>
> Nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks for helping with this. This is good news. I just need to update DI.

Use TrueImage www.acronis.com

> To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
> portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make sense,
> but there is a shortcoming.

Consider an SATA drive in a removable shock mounted tray like KF-83(~$30)
from www.kingwin.com

> Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
> work in dos for ntfs partitions.

TrueImage works under Windows.

> This means that in order to restore a bad
> partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost or
> Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.
>
> My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If
this
> is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image won't
> recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs partition
> created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that they function
> in dos.
>
> Nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hello Nick,

I have found that the easiest way to back up a partition is use "Partition
Magic" or "Norton Ghost" both work extreamly well. The only down side is
they arent free ;). I believe Partition Magic is about $80 and worth every
penny.

Michael Ortega

"Nick Mirro" <nmirro@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> Ok I know how to do it to a local disk but there seems to be a serious
> problem in creating an offsite backup.
>
> The goal is to create an offsite backup of partitions for several
> machines.
>
> To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
> portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make sense,
> but there is a shortcoming. Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
> work in dos for ntfs partitions. This means that in order to restore a
> bad partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost
> or Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.
>
> My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If
> this is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image
> won't recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs
> partition created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that
> they function in dos.
>
> Nick

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Michael Ortega wrote:

> Hello Nick,
>
> I have found that the easiest way to back up a partition is use "Partition
> Magic" or "Norton Ghost" both work extreamly well. The only down side is
> they arent free ;). I believe Partition Magic is about $80 and worth every
> penny.
>
> Michael Ortega

Michael can you clarify this? As far as I know Partition Magic does not
do backups. Drive Image yes, but not partition magic.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

In news:eukZ4rQqEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Rock <rock@comcast.nospam.net> gathered his thoughts and came up with these
words:
> Michael Ortega wrote:
>
>> Hello Nick,
>>
>> I have found that the easiest way to back up a partition is use
>> "Partition Magic" or "Norton Ghost" both work extreamly well. The
>> only down side is they arent free ;). I believe Partition Magic is
>> about $80 and worth every penny.
>>
>> Michael Ortega
>>

> Michael can you clarify this? As far as I know Partition Magic does
> not do backups. Drive Image yes, but not partition magic.

Me thinks he was thinking of Drive Image from Partition Magic, but that
would be a SWAG.

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

It is true it doesn't do "back ups" in the same fashion, but it makes and
exact copy of an given partition. Which can be used as a back up, how ever
there is no compression.
I also like it because I can take that copy and hide it in its own partition
so nothing will ever happen to it.

Michael Ortega

"Rock" <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Michael Ortega wrote:
>
>> Hello Nick,
>>
>> I have found that the easiest way to back up a partition is use
>> "Partition Magic" or "Norton Ghost" both work extreamly well. The only
>> down side is they arent free ;). I believe Partition Magic is about $80
>> and worth every penny.
>>
>> Michael Ortega
>>

> Michael can you clarify this? As far as I know Partition Magic does not
> do backups. Drive Image yes, but not partition magic.

Blair

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "Nick Mirro" <nmirro@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> > Ok I know how to do it to a local disk but there seems to be a serious
> > problem in creating an offsite backup.
> >
> > The goal is to create an offsite backup of partitions for several
> machines.
>
> Use TrueImage www.acronis.com
>
> > To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
> > portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make
sense,
> > but there is a shortcoming.
>
> Consider an SATA drive in a removable shock mounted tray like KF-83(~$30)
> from www.kingwin.com
>
> > Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
> > work in dos for ntfs partitions.
>
> TrueImage works under Windows.
>
> > This means that in order to restore a bad
> > partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost or
> > Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.
> >
> > My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If
> this
> > is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image
won't
> > recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs
partition
> > created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that they
function
> > in dos.
> >
> > Nick

What are the shortcomings of a USB Drive? I was about ot purchase one for my
laptop
Blair

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Nick Mirro" <nmirro@ticnet.com> wrote in message
> > > Ok I know how to do it to a local disk but there seems to be a serious
> > > problem in creating an offsite backup.
> > >
> > > The goal is to create an offsite backup of partitions for several
> > machines.
> >
> > Use TrueImage www.acronis.com
> >
> > > To get a backup of this size, offsite, a dedicated drive is needed. A
> > > portable hard drive of the usb or firewire type would seem to make
> sense,
> > > but there is a shortcoming.
> >
> > Consider an SATA drive in a removable shock mounted tray like
KF-83(~$30)
> > from www.kingwin.com
> >
> > > Programs such as Ghost and Drive Image only
> > > work in dos for ntfs partitions.
> >
> > TrueImage works under Windows.
> >
> > > This means that in order to restore a bad
> > > partition, the portable drive needs to be recognized in dos by Ghost
or
> > > Drive Image, when booting to a Ghost or Drive Image floppy.
> > >
> > > My understanding is that these backup drives are not recognizable. If
> > this
> > > is the case, how is the partition restored if Ghost and Drive Image
> won't
> > > recognize the portable drive? For that matter, how is the ntfs
> partition
> > > created? On the boxes, none of the portable drives say that they
> function
> > > in dos.
> > >
> > > Nick
> > >
> What are the shortcomings of a USB Drive? I was about ot purchase one for
my
> laptop

They are more expensive and not as fast as a good drive in a tray but then I
haven't seen any trays that are likely to fit in your laptop<g>.

A USB2 HD works fine.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Your welcome. Note that powerquest was recently bought by Symantec. They
seem to be selling Drive Image 7 (or equivalent) under the Norton Ghost name
now.