XPPro SP2 - Tape Media Not Recognized

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am running XP Pro SP2. My Seagate ATAPI 20BG Travan
(Specific model tape drive is unimportant) tape drive is
seen by the OS (POST, Device Manager and the Removable
Storage Manager under Libraries as Seagate STT220000A).
However, RSM does not recognize any media in the drive.
Hence, NO BACKUP using NTBackUp.exe.

The Microsoft Knowledgebase acknowledges this as a
problem with XP Pro (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article -
327559). Thier advice is to wait for them to release the
next FIX, Clean the drive or apply for the HOTFIX.

Here is where I am lost.

In the Microsoft article, it seems, states the fix is made
up of two objects (Ntmsdba.dll and Ntmsscv.dll dated
Ja 15, 2003 or later). I subsequentially found both of
these objects inside the Widnows directy on my HDD. Help
me find better software. (I have tried NovaSoft and
Retrospect - same results as NTBackUp. Or does someone
have a HOTFIX?

Thanks in advance for your help, Tom

Tom wrote:
> I am running XP Pro SP2. My Seagate ATAPI 20BG Travan
> (Specific model tape drive is unimportant) tape drive is
> seen by the OS (POST, Device Manager and the Removable
> Storage Manager under Libraries as Seagate STT220000A).
> However, RSM does not recognize any media in the drive.
> Hence, NO BACKUP using NTBackUp.exe.
>
> The Microsoft Knowledgebase acknowledges this as a
> problem with XP Pro (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article -
> 327559). Thier advice is to wait for them to release the
> next FIX, Clean the drive or apply for the HOTFIX.
>
> Here is where I am lost.
>
> In the Microsoft article, it seems, states the fix is made
> up of two objects (Ntmsdba.dll and Ntmsscv.dll dated
> Ja 15, 2003 or later). I subsequentially found both of
> these objects inside the Widnows directy on my HDD. Help
> me find better software. (I have tried NovaSoft and
> Retrospect - same results as NTBackUp. Or does someone
> have a HOTFIX?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, Tom

You have the files, are they the same revision/date as the fixed ones?
Have you done the following:

To confirm that you are experiencing the problem that is described in this
article, watch the tape activity light on the tape drive and monitor the
Removable Storage work queue while you perform a full inventory against the
drive. To perform a full inventory:
1.. Insert a tape into the tape drive and wait for the drive to become
ready.
2.. Start Removable Storage, and then click the tape library under
Physical Locations.
3.. Right-click the library, click Properties, change the inventory type
from Fast to Full, and then click OK.
4.. Right-click the library again, and then click Inventory.

Removable Storage reads the OMID on the tape. If you look in the work
queue, you notice that Removable Storage performs an inventory and an
Identify Media operation.
If you notice that the inventory and the Identify Media operation finish
very quickly and if the activity light on the tape drive never flashes, you
are probably experiencing the problem that is described in this article.

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to
correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to
computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support
Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

--
<- Shenan ->

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

research for
>yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
>responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are
>getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>

>.
Thanks for the suggestion Shenan, I haave done the Full
Inventory and checked out the Work Queue which
demonstrated the exact behavior described.

The FileName, Size and Date of my 'HotFix' files are:
Ntmsdba. dll 179,712 8/4/04
Ntmssvs.dll 435,200 8/4/04
Please tell me if these are the correct HOTFIX files and
what I should do with them to fix my problem.

Again, Thanks, Tom