Are there any Athlon mobos with 3 DDR slots?

G

I am building a new computer soon, i have the specs prety much finalised, apart from the motherboard. I am probably going for a AMD 1.4GHz (266FSB), GeForce3 (prob Asus) and all the other usual odds and ends.. The problem is i need more then 512mb RAM (3d applications and yes i am running win2k) also i would prefer DDR memory. The problem is a 512mb DDR DIMM is a horific price compared to the 256mb DIMM, about £170 compared to £35. So i was instead wanting to buy 3x256mb DIMMs. Are there any motherboards available with 3 DDR slots so i can do this? If so please could you tell me what is out there.

My knowledge isn't that great so please dont be too techy :)

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Well, the KG7 line by Abit has FOUR DDR slots. Just make sure not to get the "Lite" version; that ships with two. MSI makes a 3 board I believe, and I know the Gigabyte 7DXR has 3 for sure. Your best choice out of these would definitely be the KG7-RAID model by Abit. 6 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, TONS of multiplier/voltage options, and the best BIOS around.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just remember that to run more than two requires you to use Registered Dimms, which are all ECC, which means that they are slightly slower and more expensive!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

sTRO

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2001
I just got teh MSI K7T266 Pro-R (RAID)... 3 DIMMS, 6 USB (5Type A and 1 Type B), automatic Bios updating, and it actually works... I managed to screw up my directx installation though, so I think it's reinstall time.

I would _not_ recommend the FIC AD-11... it only has 2 DDR slots, and is not overly friendly with the AMD 1.4 (which I also run)... Thank God their tech supprt got back to me with "Hey, maybe it'll work if you reinstall windows..." Thanks a bunch, dorks. I'm totally digging the MSI mobo though, and I haven't even used the RAId yet... kinda scares me.

<font color=orange>Everything I install is based on Plug n' Pray architecture</font color=orange>