Beginner needs help with clockspeed

Split_Overlap

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
Hi guys. I don’t have a lot of experience messing around under the hood of my PC, so I hope you’ll bear with me here. I’m trying to figure out what clockspeed the new AMD K6-2/500 CPU that I just swapped into my PC (upgraded from a K6-2/300) is really running at. The required voltages are the same for both chips, so all I had to do was change the clock multiplier setting, which I did very carefully, following the diagram in the Amptron MainBoard manual. I set it at the required 5.0X, and everything seems to be working just fine---except that upon startup there’s a DOS screen telling me that a K6-2/400 CPU has been “found”. Another screen follows (appears for about one second), and, among other things, says something about a clockspeed of 400 MHz. What happened to 500?

With this same CPU in place, I tried other multiplier jumper settings with the following results:
At 3.0X a K6-2/300 is “found”, and clocks at 300MHz.
At 4.0X a K6-2/400 is found, and clocks at 400MHz.
At 4.5X a K6-2/400 is found, and clocks at 400MHz.

I don’t know what to believe. How can I tell how fast this thing is really running? Is it possible that I need to do more than just change the multiplier to get it to run at 500? Or could it already be at 500 and just not indicated on that startup screen?

A guy at Amptron suggested a BIOS update, but I don’t know how much faith I have in the guy’s opinion. I really don’t want to mess with the BIOS unless I absolutely have to.

Recently, I read something about using “stepper” information to discover the true speed capability of a CPU. Do any of you know anything about this?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Misreported by BIOS, still running at 500MHz, no change needed unless your paranoid. Check it with WCPUID and read my response in the CPU section.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!