Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Opinions on Motherboards...

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2001 3:02:02 AM

I am replacing my processor and motherboard due to some damage caused by a broken fan clip (I don't know if some of you remember my previous posts or not)...

What I want opinions on is the motherboard I should use...

My existing system:

Athlon T-Bird 1.2 ghz w/266 mhz FSB
Asus A7M266 MB
512 MB PC2100 DDR

Now, the motherboard must allow DDR memory. What I am thinking is that I will buy a 1.4 ghz Athlon T-Bird w/ 266 mhz FSB, but then I cannot use the same motherboard. (The reason being that that motherboard and all of Asus' motherboards only support up to 1.2 ghz)

These are the motherboards I am considering for this option:

Biostar M7VIB
Microstar K7T266 Pro

Any opinions?

<font color=green>Modern art, is it art? Nope, I realized, some things are just stupid.</font color=green>

More about : opinions motherboards

August 24, 2001 7:11:25 PM

I have been looking for a good MB to upgrade also.
I have decided on the Microstar K7T266 Pro-R. Because of these few points: Supports Palominoâ„¢ (Athlon 4) Processor
Athlon (Socket A) up to 1.4GHz
Duron (Socket A) up to 950MHz
AGP PRO slot
Special Features
D-LED
Live BIOS
Fuzzy Logic 3
PC 2 PC
Link for this MB http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/K7T266_P...
I am still looking around but it looks like K7T266 ProR is my best choice. I am also open to any suggestions.

:cool:
August 24, 2001 7:15:55 PM

the Gigabyte and Abit boards look to be better performers than those you've mentioned.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad:  ptooo!! :mad: 
Change the signature of the week
Related resources
August 24, 2001 7:39:09 PM

See, I have a MSI K7T Turbo and I noticed that the performance isn't as good with my Hard drives as it was on my older PIII Biostar motherboard. I got a better bench off of the PIII system then I do on my 1Ghz system. It's the same drive to...

<font color=red><b>"Can you deal with that!"</b></font color=red>
August 24, 2001 7:44:30 PM

So your saying its not a good board? K7T? So igottaknife is right?

:cool:
August 24, 2001 7:55:57 PM

Quote:
The reason being that that motherboard and all of Asus' motherboards only support up to 1.2 ghz

Asus motherboards do support over 1.2 ghz socket A CPUs (some even support the upcoming Palomino). What you may need is a Bios update, not a different mobo (unless you want to change for other reason).

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
August 24, 2001 7:56:32 PM

Well the two things that kinda pissed me off about it was the last BIOS update was screwy and the performance of the hard drive. Other then that I have had no problems with it and it runs solid! I was just disappointed in the bench mark of the drive ... wasn't much different then my other system bench, but disappointing to say the least. Just spent too much cash to take it up the tail pipe in performance ... You know what I mean ...??

<font color=red><b>"Can you deal with that!"</b></font color=red>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2001 10:57:33 PM

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus motherboards do support over 1.2 ghz socket A CPUs (some even support the upcoming Palomino). What you may need is a Bios update, not a different mobo (unless you want to change for other reason).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you go to AMD's own website and ask for recommended mobos for 1.4 Athlon chips, there are no Asus boards listed. The highest that they list Asus boards (like the one I already have) is 1.2. I should have been more specific in what I meant. Sorry.

Oh yea, and I didn't really want to change, but I have to because it's fried.

<font color=green>Modern art, is it art? Nope, I realized, some things are just stupid.</font color=green>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2001 3:10:07 AM

I wrote to Asus Support in Taiwan, asking the same question about Athlon 1.4 in A7M266 and the response said: It supports the 1.4 MHz CPU after the BIOS update to rev 1004.
So, if you already have this board, stick with it.

Adam
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2001 4:06:54 AM

Well, that is good news, I might buy the same board again. Either way I have to replace the chip and the board. What happened was that the clip on the socket that held the fan in place broke and it wasn't discovered right away. This caused the chip to fry and the motherboard along with it.

What I'm thinking now is that I might want more than 2 DDR slots. Right now I have 2 sticks of 256 MB in there, but I might add some more.

August 25, 2001 4:26:57 AM

I have the Asus A7M266 with a 1.4GHz Athlon C. Works like a dream. I also have the beautiful device called the iPanel for it, also another great product for the board.

Mainboard is great because it can take the big ass HSF's, including the wonderful Swifttech MC-462-A I have installed right now.
!