automatic update

After logging on to the net, the MS globe appeared in the toolbox, and
data was moving.

I then turned off Automatic Update in Control Panel and rebooted.

Now the Auto Update globe is gone but something is still downloading.

How can I ID this download and why is it progressing with auto update
off?

By the way, the previous setting was "Notify me but don't update" prior
to selecting "Turn off automatic update."

That thing on the web browser is advertising made to look like a
Microsoft announcement. Install goog popup blocker free from google.com

search on google popup......