seven11

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Well now, doesn't seem as if luck is on my side tonight.

I recently tried updating the BIOS on my Asus A7M266 to Asus' latest BIOS revision through their AFLASH.EXE utility, although lucky me, when I reboot the PC I am now faced with a black screen and the PC won't boot up. I'm fearing that I'm screwed for good. Am I? Anyone know of a way to get the BIOS back to its original state, or am I toast? I fortunately DID make a backup of the original BIOS before attempting to update, so at least that might be ONE good thing.

Next step, baseball bat.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That would be nice, but the guy said: "when I reboot the PC I am now faced with a black screen and the PC won't boot up"
So how in the world he can "reload" the BIOS?

Anyway, best bet is to get the new BIOS chip from Asus, they are 20 bux or so. There is another option to play with, but I dont think you have anyone within your reach with the same board, so just get the chip. Nothing scary, although not fun at all... heh.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

As I recall, there is a some kind of rescue procedure.
You should remove your video card and take the battery out for 10 minutes.
Then replace it and booth the computer without the video card. This will generate the default BIOS setting.
Reboot with the BIOS updater diskette and load the backup image. Reinstall the video card and restart your machine.
It should work now correctly.
Why don't you use the Asus Update from the Windows.

Adam