anyone get thier KG7-RAID yet?

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I ordered my KG7 from Minotaur last Friday and their supplier got it to them this week. currently my board is in the hands of Fed-Ex on-route to my house. Yeah like I'm gonna be able to sleep this weekend.

To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:
Change the signature of the week

FatBurger

Illustrious
A friend of mine should have his by now. He's offline though. I'll let you know when I hear some info from him.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I remember I was like that with my Tyan thunder k7 and then after I got it all hooked up I found out that I needed new proc. and ram. that was a little expensive but i got over it.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It looks as though my board won't arrive until Monday which sucks cuz I kinda wanted to pull an all nighter fiddle'n with it.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Well look at the bright side now you can pull an all nighter fiddling with something else.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
I would like to know why you choose a KG7 MB over the rest? Will it Support Palomino™ (Athlon 4) Processor? Just wondering, trying to decide on which one to buy. -thanks

:cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, it will.

Abit is known for stability above all else. The KG7 is also the fastest 761 based motherboard, which is something unusual from Abit.

It has the option for onboard RAID, comes with 6 PCI slots and has 4 USB ports with the cable for the extra two included.

No onboard sound or video, but that's not a big deal.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Abit is known for stability above all else.
You shouldn't make such a bold and bias statement just because you own an Abit board. =)

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
What, that stability is what Abit is known for the most?

More than anything else, not more than anyone else.
Stability is their best thing, not that they're more stable than everyone else.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I use to like Abit's BX boards because of their stability. But after testing/using dozens of Abit boards for the Athlon, I don't consider "stability" to be the best word to describe them. "Performance" is great--no doubt. As you can see, however, many people seem to be having problems with their Abit boards, more specifically, the KT7A-Raid. I know you have this board and love, same goes for many others. I have tested and used many Abit boards, but I just don't have the same feeling (and loayalty) that you do. Just curious, how many other brands of motherboards have you own before your current one???

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
But remember how many people have the KT7a-RAID. Is it really impossible that there are so many posts simply because so many people have it?
And not all of those were actually motherboard problems, but your judgement remains clouded from seeing those letters and numbers in the post.

Just a thought.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
No, trust me. Like I said, I've tested and used dozens of Abit boards for the Athlon--didn't like any of them for different reasons. My judgement would be the same even if no one had a problem with their Abit boards and posted them here. That doesn't mean I won't ever buy or own an Abit board agian (because I still own my trusty Abit BX board), I am just waiting to see what they have to offer and if it is worth my hard earn money--same goes with any other mobo manufacturer.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Just out of curiosity, how did your experiences go with reviews? Did they say the same things you think, or do you totally disagree?

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
That is an unfair question because all reviews and testings are different. Different parts, environments, benchmarks, etc.--anyone can create a review in which it can show the obvious pros and cons of something (aka selective benchmarking).
More or less, I would agree with some of the "other professional" reviews when it comes down to performance. Stability, reliability, etc, is something else. But I don't blame Abit for everything, half of that goes to VIA as well.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I just meant the reviews in general, but if you can't really answer that it's cool.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any Abit Athlon boards without any Via chips.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Those capcitors are awfully close to the socket, but Im pretty sure you'll be able to sqeeze the silverado onto the motherboard.

G

I got my Kg7-Raid yesterday and it took mb 2 hours to switch out my KT7-Raid only because I went online to read up on upgrading my board without losing my HDs.
I deleted my VIA IDE driver and swapped boards and let Win 98SE ask for any drivers it wanted me to reinstall which were mostly the VIA drivers.

PS: The KG7 is a wider board than the KT7, so you might need to move a couple motherboard spacers to the new outside corners.

I have the Silverado as well and it fit easily. Just follow the directions so you put the HSF in the right direction. The only difficulty I faced was getting the MB screw installed between the Silverado and the Antec PP-303X power supply.

So far the Antec 303X has been sufficient for my Geforce256, Amd1400, DVD, Plextor, GameTheater XP setup unlike some others who have reported needing a 400W PS.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well I just got my KG7-RAID yesterday and had a b!tch of a time getting that same screw in. What I loved was that they put the socket right on the edge of the board so clipping the CPU in was a breeze (so long as you install the CPU on the board before putting it in the case). I am having a problem though, getting it to boot with 2 video cards. It just doesn't want to check the memory if the PCI card is installed. What sucks is I just bought a second 21" Trinitron. I contacted Abit this morning and am awaiting a reply. I aint pissed though it works great otherwise, it boosted my 3DMark2000 score 400 points. It'll shoot up even more when I get a 266FSB CPU, but for now it works well enough to wait until mid September for the A4's.

Oh how do you like the GameTheater XP??

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
-igottaknife
What memory config. are you using on your board? I am thinking about using reg. memory? But don't you have to use those in pairs if you do? I hope to get my board by next week. Thanks for any info.

:cool:

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm using 2 x 256 Mushkin HP DDR Dimms in slots 3&4. ANy more than 2 Dimms would require that all Dimms be ECC (maybe later). You should be able to use only one Dimm (in slot #4), but check the manual at <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/product/mb/kg7.htm" target="_new">Abit's site</A>.

Sorry for being brief but this is the 3rd time I am writIng this cuz Fredi can't get his sh!t straight!

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ya know, your best bet would be to call or email <A HREF="http://www.Mushkin.com" target="_new">Mushkin</A> since they are the only company I know of that sell reg. ECC DDR. They would be able to answer that.

Wierd, I looked at the PDF file and I don't see anything specifying ECC for any of thier memory configurations. I've heard that the ECC thing was a rumor check the configurations <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/mainboards/abit/kg7/index2.html" target="_new">HardOCP</A> used and it kinda confuses me now. I'm gonna have to go home take a crap sit back and read this manual from cover to cover.

TRENDING THREADS