Will not shut down HELP!!

G

I have Biostar M7VKA motherboard and AMD Duron 700mhz CPU and ATI graphics card. My problem is that when I select SHUT DOWN in windows my computer gets as far as a black screen with flashing cursor and then locks up. The only way to turn it off is at the wall socket. This happened once before and I cured it by re-formatting and reloading everything. Is there an easier/quicker fix? Has anyone else come across this problem?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you are using Windows 98SE try this.

Click <b>Start</b>. Click <b>Run</b>. Type msconfig and press enter. Click <b>advanced</b>. Put a check mark at Disable Fast Shutdown.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/24/01 03:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is also a patch on www.windowsupdate.com for Win98 to adress a shutdown problem with "fast" computer (I think 400+ Mhz)

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
apart from what has already been mentioned, has it ALWAYS done this? you may have something running in the background causing it to lock on shutdown- some antivirus maybe, try going into msconfig and disabling all the startup stuff except systray and scanreg, see if that helps, also try disableing autoexec.bat and config.sys- there maybe some tsr thats causing it.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers