Mar 22, 2001
ok heres my setup:
duron 800mhz
asus A7V-E
128mb ram
mercury geforce 2 mx200
monster sound mx400
windows ME (upgrade)

My computer dosent switch on, and by that i mean doesnt even boot, not even any kind of beeps. I can only get it to work once in while. When it does it works fine no problems at all. any ideas as to what the problem could be????? i would be very gratfull. I am suspecting it may be somethings to do with the monitor staying in sleep mode.

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Just reseat everything and make sure your board isn't shorting out on anything. Also try removing some periphreals to see if that helps any. What size power supply are you using? I had a friend with a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad ground in his line so also try checking that.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Your problem is not yielding too many clues to the solution. One thing that helps sometimes is to completely take the computer apart, detatch all cables, remove the processor, the whole works. Give it a good spray down with some canned duster, especially your memory slots, processor socket, PCI slots, and perhaps even inside your power supply. (I think one should do this twice a year or so anyway). Also, check the contiguity between the processor and heatsink. All of this is a very non-technical process, but I have seen this very thing bring seemingly dead computers back to life.

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Im using a 230v psu which may be under powered a bit, what do u think?
I have tried to strip it down as far as pci/agp cards are concerned but to no avail. I have the following inside:
-geforce 2 mx200, with a fan
-56k moden(hardware)
-x2 usb ports (additional to modo usb ports, ie 4 in total)
-10/100 network card
-monster sound mx400
This is a very annoying problem....

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure if your psu is causing that but it is underpowered for sure, I would go for a 300W. Your problem seem to be a bad contact somewhere. Like other said, you should take all pieces apart and rebuild it.

Hope that helps

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
1. First you could use a bigger power supply
2. For now I would look at your current power supply and it's connections. Make sure that your power supply is not grounding out on the case. Try running it outside that case.
3. Has it always done this?

Keyboard not found press F5 to continue

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I took the system completly apart and then reassembled it but i think i have made the problem even worse as i does'nt even boot at all now - i think i may have had a dodgy component that has finally given up on trying. I getting a completly new system(with 300w) soon so i can swap and change the parts and find out exactly what the problem is. If anyone is intersested i will post my results on here some time next week. Thanks for your help.