Service Pack 2 compresses files without user consent

Ive noticed that service pack 2 compresses files without
asking, well on my pc anyways. i have compression disabled
on all my partitions and its still doing it on old files
and even archives them. is there anyway to prevent either
of these from happening, i dont really need them and it
decreases performance a little.

Jonathan.
Go to disk clean-up.
Is "Compress old files" checked?
Uncheck it.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jonathan Evans" <keitaro_himura@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ive noticed that service pack 2 compresses files without
> asking, well on my pc anyways. i have compression disabled
> on all my partitions and its still doing it on old files
> and even archives them. is there anyway to prevent either
> of these from happening, i dont really need them and it
> decreases performance a little.

Open My Computer | Right click Hard Drive(s) | Properties |
General tab | UNCheck: ? Compress drive to save disk space |
Apply | OK

[[Specifies that this NTFS drive be compressed. By default, only files in
the root directory are compressed automatically. To have Windows compress
all folders on this drive, select the Also compress subfolders check box in
the message that appears.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:394f01c4a95c$d59195f0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Jonathan Evans <keitaro_himura@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Ive noticed that service pack 2 compresses files without
> asking, well on my pc anyways. i have compression disabled
> on all my partitions and its still doing it on old files
> and even archives them. is there anyway to prevent either
> of these from happening, i dont really need them and it
> decreases performance a little.

TRENDING THREADS