Help me figure this out before I buy new stuff...

G

Here's what happened...

During a storm my computer stopped working (I was golfing in another city so I don't know what exactly happened prior to it shutting down). When I opened the case to look inside, the fan had broken off the socket (one of the plastic clips broke). It was my first suspicion that the chip was fried although I could tell no visible difference. I took the computer to a local guy and he came to the same conclusion and added that the mobo was probably fried also. Before I buy new stuff, I wanted some other opinions.

Here's what happens when I attach the fan and turn the computer on: the lights come on and it makes it's initial noises but I can see nothing on the screen. I don't even think that it posts (it doesn't sound like it does). The monitor sits in sleep mode and when I unplug the monitor cable, the monitor "wakes up" and shows a warning for me to check the cable.

Specs:

1.2 ghz Athlon T-Bird
Asus A7M266
512 MB Micron PC2100 DDR
ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR

What's the deal?

<font color=green>Modern art, is it art? Nope, I realized, some things are just stupid.</font color=green>

G

Should I buy a new mainboard and then try the same chip or what?

<font color=green>Modern art, is it art? Nope, I realized, some things are just stupid.</font color=green>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Just to make sure it is your system and not the chip or anything else, see if you can either borrow a mainboard to test out your CPU in and other stuff or just go over to a friends house and plug it in to his system and see if it boots (if his mainboard is compatible with your CPU).

G

I'm just wondering if it's also possible that the mainboard would fry and then the video card (or something else plugged into the mainboard) would do the same or not? Does it usually happen that way or not?

I have to replace the board anyway because the socket is broken.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It all depends on what path the lighting ( if that is indeed the case) took inot your computer. I find most often it is through the modem, which in turn kills the modem, the motherboard and sometimes the memory. Never seen it blow a cpu fan off though.......So there is a good chance that the storm had nothing to do with it. First thing I would check would be the cpu.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!