Sign in with
Your question

VTS file size creation

Last response: in Windows XP
May 17, 2005 2:58:09 PM

Hi ,

I had a thread about this , don't know who pulled that joke,

OBJECTIVE: I want to ZIP or ISO files (Jpegs and MOVIE files) into the exact file size of a VTS_01_1.VOB file like seen on a DVD video... They are about 1.047.000 giga bytes...

How can I do this??

thank you
R.

____
Pentium 4 3.0E (Prescot) 1MB L2
Asus P4P800SE
Samsung DDR (PC 3200) x 2EA in Dual Slots
Radeon 7500 64MB
LG DVDRAM GSA-4082B (DVD Burner)
LG RW/DVD GCC-4521B (Combo)

More about : vts file size creation

May 18, 2005 2:39:01 PM

I'm Sorry I guess i'm kind of complicated...

I want to know how I can diguse and mask certain files
i don't want other people to see... Even the best computer experts...

Cheers
R.

____
Asus P4P800SE
Radeon 7500 64MB
May 18, 2005 7:28:33 PM

Getting into the virus/worm business?

The only way to really hide it would basically make those files useless unless you're making a virus..

You can just encrypt a folder and put your files in there.
Related resources
May 18, 2005 10:09:31 PM

Damn, there's a really good app out there that does a great job encrypting files on the fly, but it's totally slipped my mind. Anyone know? It makes a virtual disk on the drive that is encrypted.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>
May 19, 2005 1:11:16 AM

how do i encrypt a folder?

____
Asus P4P800SE
Radeon 7500 64MB
May 19, 2005 1:48:27 AM

PGP is a freeware app that will encrypt files for you. There are all manner of encryp apps out there for you to use.
Another possibility for real data hiding is to use steganography - hiding data within data with little or no effect on the host data.
You can hide a spreadsheet in an image file and the image quality would hardly be effected. You can layer on encryption so that the hidden data is encrypted as well as hidden so even if it is detected it can't be extracted or decyphered.

There are a number of tools that can do this just google stego to find them.
May 19, 2005 5:41:41 PM

Thanks palmerg, pretty sure that's the one I was thinking of.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>
May 20, 2005 12:32:39 AM

NP - We have Phil Zimmerman to thank for that app - he went through all kinds of hell with the likes of NSA and other gov agencies to allow exporting of the associated crypto algorithms included in PGP.
Great Program. Some of it is commercialized but there is a freeware ver out there. Maybe at sourceforge, I forgot.... getting senile.
May 20, 2005 1:15:13 PM

Well, way to tell the guy how to start making a virus. :) 

I had a kid try doing this when I was in college.. he tried making a virus, encrypting it, and hiding it on the PCs.
Antivirus won't pick it up because it's not a big virus, but it's enough to cause problems on a network. With a little work he could make it replicate out to any PC he's been on, or has an admin password to. :) 
May 20, 2005 1:16:03 PM

In XP, right click on the Folder, Properties, lower right hand corner, Advanced. You'll see a checkbox for encryption. Open that, fill out the info and you'll be good to go.
May 20, 2005 8:04:01 PM

There is a lot more to virus creation than hiding a file in another or knowing how to use encryption.(Sorry didn't see the smiley face until I started writing)
I use stego for protecting personal information on my laptop so that if it is stolen (which could happen) teh crook won't have a leg up in the ID thrft realm.
May 20, 2005 8:56:24 PM

I've seen people write batch files to delete folders, etc, on the network or on the pc. Toss out an Icon on the desktop.. Microsoft Word, change the icon, but make it a batch file.. not really a virus, but it'll cause some problems. It's stupid things like that can give headaches.
May 20, 2005 9:22:11 PM

I agree that a little info in the wrong hands (or mind) can be a dangerous thing. I just prefer to share info. I know I should be more cautious, but..
May 21, 2005 3:17:09 PM

Windows XP <b><font color=red>Pro</b></font color=red> can encrypt files and folders. Right-click the file or folder you want to encrypt and Properties. Click on <b>Advanced</b> button, and check on <b>'Encrypt contents to secure data'</b>. It encrypts and decrypts files on-the-fly, so you wouldn't notice the difference.
May 23, 2005 8:32:42 PM

OK, I know this is not a full "encryption" or even a full proof way to hide something from someone who's really good.
But, if you just rename your file as .VOB the system will view it as such, right???
So, if someone double clicked it, it would try to open it as such,, prolly unsuccessfully.
Just a thought. Very simple and uncomplicated. Yes, I know it's far from hacker proof, so don't go into attack mode guys.
BTW,, when talking "even the best computer experts", if there's a way to hide it there's a way to unhide it. Unless you go so far as to destroy it completely.
May 23, 2005 8:35:35 PM

That would work.. but it would render the file useless.. he'd have to change the file name each time he wanted to open or access it.. the encryption probably is the best bet as he'd just have to enter a password to get into the folder.
May 23, 2005 9:40:02 PM

I know,, like I said, "just a thought". And yes, you'd deffinately have to rename it every time you wanted to see it. Not the most functional of ideas, but would work in a pinch. :smile:

May 23, 2005 10:05:30 PM

Renaming the file as you suggest will render it useless in most cases. As you mention it won't fool good forensic examiners. They use tools that don't rely on the file type. They open the file in a hex editer and look for the file signiture (header adn trailer). Ie. all Jpeg files start with hex FFD8 and end with hex FFD9.
May 23, 2005 10:38:54 PM

that was exaclty my intention. Your average Joe would just see it as a corrupt/useless file. Rename it back and view it as always. (I did say this was a very simple and not very haker-proof solution :wink: )

May 24, 2005 12:36:39 AM

Yep, I said you mentioned all that.
!