Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
In late May, I had purchased a 1.33 Ghz computer (equipped with ECS' K7SEM Motherboard, 128mb 133 mhz ram, 40x CD, Iomega drive, floppy, ethernet card, modem, video is onboard, 250 watt power supply.
The CPU temp hovered around 50 degrees C, while the case was 47 degrees C, i know his is a bit hot (you think so too?) just got 2 fans to cool it down and some nice thermal paste too.

So i left for an hour to defrag the hard drive while I ran some errands. When I returned an hour later, the computer had froze, so I reset it- but it would not reboot the computer. After a few minutes, I tried to boot the computer again but it refused to do so- although the red hard drive light was on.

I have tested the hard drive and memory in a different computer and have determined that they are fine. In addition, I removed the modem and ethernet cards (factory installed), figuring they may be causing the failure in booting. Also, I have tested my monitor with another computer and worked as well. I have not added any new hardware to the computer nor have I edited or upgraded the motherboard's BIOS. But all i get when i start the PC is the hard drive whirring, power to my CD, floppy, MB lights are on, but all i get is the standard test pattern on my monitor (like when the PC is off)

In my opinion, I believe the motherboard or processor has failed. Do you have any suggestions on what to do now to perhaps fix it or test whether the MB or processor are broken (none of my friends has a socket A board that can handle my CPU).

Questions to answer:
1) Were my CPU and case temp really hot (could have caused problem?)
2) Is a 250 watt power supply to weak for my system?
3) Suggestions for my MD/CPU problem.

thanks alot

AMD RULEZ!

G

The 50c degrees on that cpu would be acceptable, if that was running at full load, but at idle, I would have found that to be unacceptable. The 47c mobo temp is waaayyyyyyy too high. That would seem to look like the case was not a very good one. I have my cpu temps at 45c- 47c full load and the case / mobo temps never go above 29c. Try, if you can to test your mobo out in another computer.

Down at pants n at wit Donnie Iris

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
That 250 watt PS sounds like a weak link too have ya tried booting up with the case open ... might not matter because if it is temp related and you have tried after several long term shutdowns it should be cooler .. the last 2 fans you added may be taxing that scrawny PS just enough to screw the pooch

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

G

I've seen this before,
A friend of mine had the exact same problem with his AMD rig. He was told everything from bad memory to too small of a power supply. What it turned out to be was a bad mobo that was running wide open, thus giving you the high temps. He replaced the mobo and was fine after that, even with a 250w power supply..

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
i appriciate the help forme verybody who posted/viewed this thread. My new MB should be coming soon, so i'll let you kno wif it was the MB.

AMD RULEZ!

G

I hope you get your problem solved. I bet you'll have better luck with a new MB. I don't want to say anyone is wrong, but running your machine with the case open will cause more heat since the fans are losing there pushing and pulling power, and a higher wattage PSU is not the answer unless you are using a nonamed brand that might not be providing proper voltage. I have a 250W with 7 fans total in my case, cd-rw, cd-rom, 2 HD's, voodoo5 which needs 12v power, and a floppy. Overclocking and everything! Never a problem. You only need more wattage for alot of devices. I know all of this since I am A+, N+, MCP certified. Look this stuff up in any A+ book. Trust me, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just a bit mislead. Goodluck with your new MB dude!

G

Dude, that last post from Stil was me..didn't realize I was logged in as an old name.

G

Just a thought...A no-name small psu running at 70~100% duty cycle without good heat extraction will increase the case temps.

Medication helps :smile:

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
good news, my new MoBo (DFI AK76-SN) is working fine with a PC temp of 37 idle, 40 degrees C under a full load. The case temp is only 2 degrees above roomtemp, so it looked like it was the MoBo.

AMD RULEZ!