100% CPU -- rundll32.exe

Okay. I posted last week w/ this problem and Stanley
sent a very thorough -- list of remedies. I have done
all of them. I now have a firewall installed on all
networked computers (Zone Alarm). I have updated all of
the virus definitions (w/ Sophos on one computer and
Norton on the other). Have downloaded and am running
daily 5 spyware / adaware type killers (Adaware, Spybot,
CWShredder, Hijack This, Spyware Blaster and IE SPYAD)
plus everything in terms of deleting cookies etc.

The problem is ... while my computer certainly got a
thorough cleaning, I am still having the same problem --
my computer shows 100% CPU and the culprit is
rundll32.exe. Any ideas as to what could be causing the
trouble? I've tried simply deleting the offender in the
taskmgr, but it doesn't seem to want to leave! ;-)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

"rundll32.exe" is a virus file and should be removed immediately!

Ref: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/rundll/

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

Click here to view applications/processes that are NOT SAFE to have on your system.
http://www.superadblocker.com/spyware.html

Click here to view applications/processes that are often confused with spyware/adware,
but are SAFE to have on your system.
http://www.superadblocker.com/applications.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Lisa" wrote:

| Okay. I posted last week w/ this problem and Stanley
| sent a very thorough -- list of remedies. I have done
| all of them. I now have a firewall installed on all
| networked computers (Zone Alarm). I have updated all of
| the virus definitions (w/ Sophos on one computer and
| Norton on the other). Have downloaded and am running
| daily 5 spyware / adaware type killers (Adaware, Spybot,
| CWShredder, Hijack This, Spyware Blaster and IE SPYAD)
| plus everything in terms of deleting cookies etc.
|
| The problem is ... while my computer certainly got a
| thorough cleaning, I am still having the same problem --
| my computer shows 100% CPU and the culprit is
| rundll32.exe. Any ideas as to what could be causing the
| trouble? I've tried simply deleting the offender in the
| taskmgr, but it doesn't seem to want to leave! ;-)
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks in advance!
|
| Lisa

Okay. I have run sophos and symantec and both say that I
have no virus'. As I indicated in my email, I have run 5
different spyware/adremoval software programs including
adaware se.

I tried to remove rundll32.exe, but it won't be removed.
I did check your options here but w/o much luck.

I'm still having an overload.

Thanks again.

Lisa

part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

>Click here to view applications/processes that are NOT
SAFE to have on your system.
>http://www.superadblocker.com/spyware.html
>
>Click here to view applications/processes that are often
confused with spyware/adware,
>but are SAFE to have on your system.
>http://www.superadblocker.com/applications.html
>
>--
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows XP - Shell/User
>
>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.
aspx

---------------------

-
>| my computer shows 100% CPU and the culprit is
>| rundll32.exe. Any ideas as to what could be causing
the
>| trouble? I've tried simply deleting the offender in
the
>| taskmgr, but it doesn't seem to want to leave! ;-)
>|
>| Any ideas?
>|
>| Thanks in advance!
>|
>| Lisa
>.

map

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/rundll32.htm

In article <OJg6vEbqEHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com says...
> "rundll32.exe" is a virus file and should be removed immediately!

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

"rundll.exe" is a well known virus.
"rundll32.exe" is a Windows component.