Backing up files in Windows XP (Home)

I recently installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. It
was suggested I backup my files first, but I was unable
to. I did find the backup utility on the CD that came
with Windows XP and was able to install it. The problem
is that it seems the utility will only allow me to backup
to my floppy drive, but a floppy can hold very little
data. My pc has a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive but I
can't seem to get the backup utility to recognize them.
Any suggestions?

Create the *.bkf on the hard drive and then burn it to a CD.

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

--------------------------------
"genej500" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. It
> was suggested I backup my files first, but I was unable
> to. I did find the backup utility on the CD that came
> with Windows XP and was able to install it. The problem
> is that it seems the utility will only allow me to backup
> to my floppy drive, but a floppy can hold very little
> data. My pc has a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive but I
> can't seem to get the backup utility to recognize them.
> Any suggestions?

The Windows Backup utility compresses and saves data into one file.. it is
as easy to save data using the CD writer software..

"genej500" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. It
> was suggested I backup my files first, but I was unable
> to. I did find the backup utility on the CD that came
> with Windows XP and was able to install it. The problem
> is that it seems the utility will only allow me to backup
> to my floppy drive, but a floppy can hold very little
> data. My pc has a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive but I
> can't seem to get the backup utility to recognize them.
> Any suggestions?

Yes but this way he will have problems in case he needs to restore, so he
might just leave those on the cd. There are several ways however, the
simplest would be
to use a backup utility, for example Backup4all, http://www.backup4all.com/
or use one of the following methods:

1. Direct the program to save to the location of XP's temporary cache
directory. It is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<logon user>\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning. This is the location that XP
copies files to for burning before announcing that you must use "Write files
to CD" function. If you create a shortcut to this directory then you can
direct your applications to save to the location of the shortcut. The files
will actually be copied into the CD Burning directory and will be burned
after the write is complete (the Local Settings and Application Data
directories are hidden).
2. Setup your CD Writer device as a shared device(be careful when you do
that) and map the device. You can now save directly to the CD Writer drive
letter.
3.If you want to save data, from explorer or from within third party
applications, directly to CD having the ability to modify, delete, overwrite
files etc. from a CD-R/W then you need to use packet writing software and
this way Ntbackup will work. When you bought the CD-RW/DVD drive you
probably received one application for packet writing.
Hope it helps
--
Regards,
Claudiu Spulber
"David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Create the *.bkf on the hard drive and then burn it to a CD.
>
> --
> David Nimon
> dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
>
> --------------------------------
> "genej500" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. It
> > was suggested I backup my files first, but I was unable
> > to. I did find the backup utility on the CD that came
> > with Windows XP and was able to install it. The problem
> > is that it seems the utility will only allow me to backup
> > to my floppy drive, but a floppy can hold very little
> > data. My pc has a CD-RW drive and a DVD drive but I
> > can't seem to get the backup utility to recognize them.
> > Any suggestions?

You can use http://www.firestreamer.com/fsdvd/ to write directly to
DVD with ntbackup