newb question: EQ2 Harvesting for non tradeskiller?

vardiss

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

I got burned out on tradeskills in EQ1 so I don't think I'll bother in EQ2
since it seems that you can probably make just as much money hunting as
tradeskilling.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

But I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to harvest items as I run
through the world just to sell in the market or give to friends.

Is this feasible? Should I practice up harvesting to a certain level in
order to do this? Is it going to be really tedious and thus not worth my
time?

Vardiss

chrisb

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004

Vardiss wrote:
> I got burned out on tradeskills in EQ1 so I don't think I'll bother in EQ2
> since it seems that you can probably make just as much money hunting as
> tradeskilling.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong. :)
>
> But I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to harvest items as I run
> through the world just to sell in the market or give to friends.
>
> Is this feasible? Should I practice up harvesting to a certain level in
> order to do this? Is it going to be really tedious and thus not worth my
> time?
>
> Vardiss

Give it a try. If it's really tedious stop. If it isn't keep gathering.

Wolfie

Vardiss wrote:
> I got burned out on tradeskills in EQ1 so I don't think I'll bother
> in EQ2 since it seems that you can probably make just as much money
> hunting as tradeskilling.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The current market for drops, in particular spells/abilities, is
insanely overpriced. For most items the price will plummet as
this first wave of players level -- more drops due to more
groups in the hunting areas as well as less demand as the first
wave out-levels the lower spells. Add in the TLC and I
*think* hunting will eventually pay less and less. Of course,
that's NOT the case if you're close to the bleeding edge of
the leveling curve.

On the other hand, things like *good* armor doesn't seem to
drop *at all* compared to EQ. I've seen one nice bow and
one nice shield -- along with about 20 spells/abilities/tradeskill
books. Of course, that may change as well with leveling...
But if it doesn't tradeskills will start to take off as money
makers. And that's true now for some items -- bank boxes,
bags, etc. The *good* armor/etc should start appearing on
the market pretty soon.

The big issue is this: if you hunt and don't tradeskill, you'll be
far behind the leveling curve as a craftsman. And vice versa,
of course. But *either* should make money now. The
problem for tradeskillers is getting the raw components -- they
can't do that as level 10 adventurers unless they buy them.

> But I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to harvest items as I run
> through the world just to sell in the market or give to friends.
> Is this feasible? Should I practice up harvesting to a certain level
> in order to do this? Is it going to be really tedious and thus not
> worth my time?

It's really tedious but I expect they'll be a pretty good market for
them, especially the rare drops. The thing to remember is that
it will be even *more* tedious if you don't level that skill as you
go...