hooked

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
Wheres all the 64bit XP discussion? Its all the rage on other sites. I love mine .. runs smoooth.

M

69.12.5.14:27015 Detachable CS

hooked

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
rgr that. I love mine .... so smooth-fast- new little tweaks here and there. 2 program files folders. 2 internet explorers ..

M

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
you're honestly saying that it runs FASTER? Unless you have some 64 bit software I haven't heard of, I would say that's just your expectations getting the best of you. It's more likely that the new install is CLEAN so it's running better 'cause of that: not as much running, simple. Not because of the new OS, just the new install.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
OK, that I'll buy.

Just sounded like you were talking general overall terms. Even Gates himself will say that's not the case, especially talking 32bit apps.

<font color=green> AMD- Intel's choice for Best CPU manufacturer </font color=green>

hooked

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
start/programs offer I.E. (32) , and I.E. (64) shortcuts. The 64x version is still a little buggy. java-activeX errors etc. 2 Program files is just that. There are 2 program files in "my computer". one reg like normal , and one named Program Files (x86). Im just wondering why the 2 ? also, there is no disk defragmentor in start/programs/accessories/system tools , just disk cleanup.gotta got control panel to use/view defragger. kinda weird

M

Locus27

Distinguished
May 21, 2005
Okay folks, I just made the jump to a 64bit system and xp64. Figured... hey, I'm goin to iraq for a year, might as well have a good system over there to play games on. Installed xp64, went and bought far cry and installed it after having read the write up on THG. Big problem though, the dang thing keeps locking up. I get about 40 seconds into the game and it freezes the whole system, hard. event viewer gives me WMIxWDM errors, including fatal TLB errors and fatal bus or interconnect timeout errors. I've checked the usual suspects, drivers, ram, heat, loose cables, haven't been able to track anything down. it happens with both the stock microsoft drivers and the ati catalyst drivers. i'm at wits end. any ideas?

hooked

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
if you have a 64x cpu , try the 64bit patches ... I never tried to play regular . I went straight to the 64bit version.

M

Locus27

Distinguished
May 21, 2005
not so much a nvidia fan anymore. haven't been since ati overtook 'em in price v. performance back in the geforce 3 days.

update: i've fixed the DCOM error message, with a little help from google and the boards at planetamd64. i'm starting to believe the codemonkeys at microsoft have internal obfuscated code contests. i'm still having the whole freezing the game issue though, which is leading me to believe it's really a driver issue. i haven't had a chance to sit down and tweak the drivers yet, i'll probably get to that tonight. i'm also gonna give xp32 a try as soon as i lay my hands on a copy. just for s&g's.

pat

Expert
was running smooth, but no drivers to support my printer, my scanners, or capture card. So, not yet usefull, IMHO. I tried it some month ago, while still in beta.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Locus27

Distinguished
May 21, 2005
update: fixed it all! and no, i didn't scrap it and go back to xp32. when i fixed the dcom message it must've also sorted out the WMIxWDM error. that was all fine and well, but it didn't fix the fact that my games were freezing. by some odd miracle i just happened to be walking through bestbuy when some stars somewhere aligned and i happened upon a radeon x700 256 (agp) on a store manager's special for $149, no mail in rebate, no instant rebate, nada. $149. i couldn't pass that up, so i bought it. went home and quickly installed said card to see the glorious eye candy it would bring me. what did i get? about 2 hours of gameplay before my stomach reminded me that bodily functions must go on. apparantly far cry 64bit was too much for the radeon 9800 pro 128 to handle.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
not so much a nvidia fan anymore. haven't been since ati overtook 'em in price v. performance back in the geforce 3 days.
I was the same way until recently. I've had both AGP and PCIe versions of the 6800 now and have been very satisfied.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Sure, as long as you don't exchange your 32 bit version for the new one. :wink:

toddmd2

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I'm also thinking about making the leap to X64, however, I'm worried about compatibility with my existing 32bit apps. Does it stand to reason that if a program will run in a 32bit environment that it will run in a 64bit environment?

Locus27

Distinguished
May 21, 2005
for the most part they will, from what i've run into, anyway. the only thing i've come across that won't run is the install file for UT2k4's editor's choice extras. still haven't figured out a work-around for that. a lot of open source/open project software is jumping into the 64bit realm. i was happy to see a 64bit version of virtualdub available. gonna test it out tonight.