Asus A7M266 - BIOS Update

G

What is preferred way to update BIOS on Asus A7M266 motherboard.

Thanks.

Adam

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I have a post dated 7/13/01 under this same forum "Motherboards and Chipsets" called "Updateing my BIOS" that answers your question. Please do a search by user name under this forum for all post and you will get what you need.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

Thanks for the information.
I was hoping that Asus Update will work for this board as well, but it seems to me that this board has some special "features", like the BIOS upgrade with "aflash" only and the strange VI/O1 settings. Maybe should I go with Abit KG7 ?????

Adam

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Unfortunately the Asus A7M266 M/B does not have the automatic BIOS update feature, and it states that in the manual. However, the manual method of using the "Aflash.exe and BIOS file" is a easy procedure as you viewd in my recent post.

I thought you already had the M/B, but judging from your post it seems that you are still shopping. Well good luck anyway.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

Re: Creating bootable diskette for aflash BIOS update under Windows ME.
There is some problem to create a DOS based disk under Win ME.This system simply refuses to do it.
I've create a regular ME Startup Disk and deleted config.sys and Autoexec.bat, then cofied the aflash.exe.
But there is no place for the BIOS update image.
Could you suggest me what else could I remove in order to prepare the additional space for it and the BIOS backup file.

Thanks.

Adam

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Then copy the aflash.exe & the BIOS update image to a separate floppy, and use the Me startup disk to get to command prompt, then switch floppies and proceed with the update.

NOTE: make sure that the BIOS image is unzipped on that disk before you start the update. Also, when prompted to backup your current BIOS, say YES. Then keep the disk in a safe place, in case you desire to revert back to your old BIOS.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I know this is off the subject but does anyone else think that the win98 bootdisk is one of the all time best tech tools?

What is the difference between <font color=red>pink</font color=red>and <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple>? The <b>GRIP</b>!

G

Hmmm,
It's a good idea.
BTW. You was right, I'm for a new motherboard, after big disapointment of P4-1.5 MHz on Asus P4T. This processor is unefficient, I've it with 128 MB RDRAM only, but its performance in MS Train Simulator is very disapointing.
I've decided to switch to Athlon 1.4 MHz 266 but didn't decided yet between Asus A7M266 and A7A266.
Which one would you take.

Regards,

Adam

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
If you are going the DDR SDR route for DRAM and have no problem with only 2 DIMM slots. the Asus A7M266 is a better M/B. The A7A266 is a little more versitle between PC 133/DDR SDR, but I don't have the confindence with the VIA chipset, but this is only my personal perferrence. Happy shopping.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men