Help! I need better FPS in WoW Cataclysm

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • World Of Warcraft
  • FPS
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 18, 2011 6:39:30 PM

I've been playing Cataclysm, and here recently I'm noticing a drastic drop in fps from WotLK. Whereas I was getting 40-60fps in most areas, now I average about 15fps.

I've tried setting my in game graphics to the lowest settings, and it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever as to whether or not I have them at Ultra or Low, Windowed or Fullscreen, or what resolution.

Here are my system specs, if it helps.

Alienware M17x R1 (I believe it's an R1, as I purchased it in '09).

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8600
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: GeForce GTX 260M
Onboard GPU: GeForce 9400

I am updated to the latest Nvidia drivers, however I was having this problem before updating as well.

More about : fps wow cataclysm

September 18, 2011 7:05:03 PM

What is you bandwith from ISP - if you have low speed or laggin - it loweres you fps too...
m
l
September 18, 2011 9:23:36 PM

correon said:
What is you bandwith from ISP - if you have low speed or laggin - it loweres you fps too...

m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2011 12:51:47 AM

The WoW engine was overhauled for the Cataclysm expansion, making use of DX11 capabilities. Whereas WotLK was pretty cushy on systems, Cata is somewhat more demanding.

Unfortunately, there's little you can do in this situation:

You could:

• Lower your visual settings until you got the FPS you want.
  • Upgrade your GPU (and CPU I'd say, as they're both a bit dated.)
  • Buy a new laptop, or even better, a new desktop.

Sorry to herald bad news :( 

-Nih
    m
    l
    September 19, 2011 1:26:58 AM

I don't have the means to upgrade, unfortunately. I get that they upgraded their graphics engine, but my husband has the same computer as I do, with one or two differences (extra ram, and an extra GeForce 260m), and can manage to keep his fps at it's previous standards.
    m
    l

Best solution

September 19, 2011 1:27:39 AM

try this completely and total awesomeness program:
    http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18512_4-1091...

this program shuts down all background programs that are not necessary for gaming.
    Adds allot of fps and is a great way to help out an aging comp.
    September 19, 2011 1:32:24 AM

Ben95 said:
    try this completely and total awesomeness program:
    http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18512_4-1091...

this program shuts down all background programs that are not necessary for gaming.
    Adds allot of fps and is a great way to help out an aging comp.

I'll try that, thank you.
    m
    l
    September 19, 2011 10:34:03 AM

Synderryn said:
    I don't have the means to upgrade, unfortunately. I get that they upgraded their graphics engine, but my husband has the same computer as I do, with one or two differences (extra ram, and an extra GeForce 260m), and can manage to keep his fps at it's previous standards.

His extra RAM and added GPU will definitely account for a performance boost.

2 cards working in SLI add about 1.9x performance compared to a single card, and added RAM will benefit any gamer up to about 8GB.

-Nih
    m
    l
    September 19, 2011 10:41:01 AM

Eugh, *deleted* due to double post bug :/ 
    m
    l
    September 19, 2011 8:18:22 PM

Okay, I made sure my BIOS was updated to current, double checked my NVIDIA drivers again, tried disabling onboard graphics, and nothing seemed to help. I uninstalled anything WoW related on my computer and did a clean install, and that seems to have done the trick - I'm now averaging 35-40fps if I have everything on Ultra.
    m
    l
    September 29, 2011 12:29:48 AM

Best answer selected by Synderryn.
    m
    l
    !