ASUS A7A266 RAM Problem

G

I have an ASUS A7A266 Motherboard with 2-256 MB DDR 2100 Crcuial RAM chips. I am using Windows 2000 Professional (with Service pack 2). When I put both chips in at once the system will give me a blue screen of death within minutes. When I put them in one at a time (regardless of the slot) everything is okay.

Any ideas?

G

Try swapping them around.

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

I have tried switching them and seeing if the slot matters... no luck :)

G

Try each of the sticks seperatly in dimm 1 then try it in dimm 2, may be a dead dimm slot or bad memory stick even!

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you solve your problem, I have the EXACT same issue -- I've tried Crucial and others to no avail so I'm pretty sure this is not a memory issue but a motherboard problem. At first I thought it was Win ME, but like you I tried Win 2K and had the same problem. Just curious, are you running two video cards?

Also, have you tried the latest 1006 BIOS from Asus? This supposedly fixed some DRAM timing issues. I'll plug my other 256MB crucial in tonight to see.

Rob.

G

I did fix it...
There is a jumper by the AGP slot with three pins. Move it from the default position of 1-2 to 2-3. After doing this I haven't had a problem