Unable to open pps files.

Since installing MS Service Pack2, I have been unable to open .pps files. I
am referred to "Folder Options" in Control Panel however when that site does
not respond to the changes I make to creat a file association. When I follow
the instructions in MS Technical Based Advisory #307859 by right clicking or
double clicking ona .pps file then clicking on "Open with", I don't get the
dialogue box providing two options for creating a file association. Instead,
I get the box showing the Icon for my printer (Canon i860)that appears when
one clicks on "Print" under the "File" menu. Can anyone suggest a way to
remedy this situation. TIA, Scotty.
4 answers Last reply
More about unable open files

    Help menu - Detect and Repair

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "scotty" <mchaggis4708@perth.igs.net> wrote in message news:uMbLlLhqEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Since installing MS Service Pack2, I have been unable to open .pps files. I
    > am referred to "Folder Options" in Control Panel however when that site does
    > not respond to the changes I make to creat a file association. When I follow
    > the instructions in MS Technical Based Advisory #307859 by right clicking or
    > double clicking ona .pps file then clicking on "Open with", I don't get the
    > dialogue box providing two options for creating a file association. Instead,
    > I get the box showing the Icon for my printer (Canon i860)that appears when
    > one clicks on "Print" under the "File" menu. Can anyone suggest a way to
    > remedy this situation. TIA, Scotty.

    Thankyou David, but in which site can I locate the "Help Menu" that has a
    Locate & Repair option. I went to "Add &Remove Programs in Control Panel,
    clicked on MS PPViewer then clicked on "Repair" under support information. I
    received a pop up bos advising me the the feature I was trying to use is on
    a network resource that is unavailable. When I tried to locate the MS
    PPWiewer in my Programs file,I could not locate it. I removed my MS Power
    point viewer 2003 file and reinstalled it but the situation has not changed.
    Have you any suggestions. Appreciate your assistance. Scotty.

    On the Help menu in Powerpoint.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "scotty" <mchaggis4708@perth.igs.net> wrote in message news:uG0XTDiqEHA.3244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Thankyou David, but in which site can I locate the "Help Menu" that has a
    > Locate & Repair option. I went to "Add &Remove Programs in Control Panel,
    > clicked on MS PPViewer then clicked on "Repair" under support information. I
    > received a pop up bos advising me the the feature I was trying to use is on
    > a network resource that is unavailable. When I tried to locate the MS
    > PPWiewer in my Programs file,I could not locate it. I removed my MS Power
    > point viewer 2003 file and reinstalled it but the situation has not changed.
    > Have you any suggestions. Appreciate your assistance. Scotty.

    I cannot get into powerpoint. When I click on it in my programs list under
    start, I get the following message,nothwithstanding I DO have Win XP Pro.

    "The microsoft power point viewer could not start. This version of the
    viewer is only supported by Microsoft Win 98(2nd.Edit.),Win ME,Win 2000,Win
    XP and Win server 2003."

Control Panel Microsoft File Association Windows XP