Windows XP update stalls

duane

Hi,

I'm using an HP Pavilion 545x. I ran lavasoft's adaware
and spybot s&d and norton anti-virus. All updated. I went
to HP's site and followed the instructions for updating
their software before installing SP2. The update stalls
at "Checking for New Software". I thought it might get
fixed with SP2 so I installed that after running the above
mentioned programs. The same thing happens - update
stalls. In the Security Center it says Automatic updates
is turned on, but when I try to access the auto update
feature by right clicking My Computer, left clicking
Properties, then clicking Automatic Updates the tab won't
come up and the Properties window goes blank.

Any help would be appreciated!

WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234

see also

When searching for available updates on the Windows Update site, you see the
0x8007043B error
This error may occur if the WUAUSERV and BITS services are not configured properly in
the registry.
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=19&ln=en

or

Try registering the following:

Click Start, select Run and type:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll

Press enter after each one and wait for the success message

or if I have not been able to assist you
Windows Update newsgroup:
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US