XP SP2 Internet Explorer Problems

trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After installing SP2 nothing worked. I could not load
any programs from the Start Menu. I finally shutdown the
laptop (Dell Inspiron 8500 512MB RAM) and it stuck
on "Saving Configuration Changes" for nearly 20 minutes.
I ended up losing patience and cold booting it. Once the
laptop came back online programs worked but with IE in
particular I can't even type in the URL space, it only
recognizes maybe every third key I hit...incredible
functional especially when trying to type a password.
Any advice?

Thank you.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

These symptoms indicate something is hogging system
resources. What's hogging the computer? What does task
manager show? I bet its not anything legimate. Probably
maleware. Sp2 is less compliant then sp1

I noticed you didn't include virus and spyware scans for
those free downloads to help with everything they promise
but don't tell you about startup programs and registry
items that fool with your pc.

If you don't have virus protection, Symantec test your
computer's exposer to online threats.
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?
langid=ie&venid=sym

If you don't have reliable spyware/maleware removal, you
can get it with spybot free at :

http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?
page=spybotsd#clean

I suggest you run the spybot scan. It will run awhile.
WHen finished ,clean recommended. Some entries will be in
memory. The program ask if you would like to fix at next
boot up. Reply yes

It has an automatic backup so you can restore fixes.

You'll also need to remove startup registry items also.
Highjackthis is available free at:

http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?

They can help you with interpreting logs. Just follow
their instructions. You can wait for their interpretation
or you can look for 04 startup entries. I suggest you
delete any software startup thats not store bought
software.