NC8000 Power conservation settings question

Hi all, when you plug the power adapter into the laptop, the screen gets
brighter, when you remove it dims. This is part of the power conservation
settings. On the older M700 laptops, you were able to switch this off using
the drivers downloaded from Compaq/HP. The drivers from Compaq/HP for the
NC8000 dont seem to have this feature.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to stop this? I'd really like to
have the same brightness settings all the time, no matter whether I have the
power adapter plugged in or not.

Cheers Dre
2 answers Last reply
More about nc8000 power conservation settings question

    Dre <blah@somewhere.com> wrote:
    > Hi all, when you plug the power adapter into the laptop, the screen gets
    > brighter, when you remove it dims. This is part of the power conservation
    > settings. On the older M700 laptops, you were able to switch this off using
    > the drivers downloaded from Compaq/HP. The drivers from Compaq/HP for the
    > NC8000 dont seem to have this feature.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to stop this? I'd really like to
    > have the same brightness settings all the time, no matter whether I have the
    > power adapter plugged in or not.
    >
    > Cheers Dre

    Perhaps it is now a *BIOS* setting. At least it is for my HP OmniBook
    vt6200:

    Power -> Backlight control

    This has two settings:

    - "Auto Restore", for which the "Item Specific Help" says "Backlight
    brightness automatically remembered.".

    - "Auto Dim", for which it says "Maximizes battery life.".

    I hope this helps.

    "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Dre <blah@somewhere.com> wrote:
    > > Hi all, when you plug the power adapter into the laptop, the screen gets
    > > brighter, when you remove it dims. This is part of the power
    conservation
    > > settings. On the older M700 laptops, you were able to switch this off
    using
    > > the drivers downloaded from Compaq/HP. The drivers from Compaq/HP for
    the
    > > NC8000 dont seem to have this feature.
    > >
    > > I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to stop this? I'd really like
    > > have the same brightness settings all the time, no matter whether I have
    the
    > > power adapter plugged in or not.
    > >
    > > Cheers Dre
    >
    > Perhaps it is now a *BIOS* setting. At least it is for my HP OmniBook
    > vt6200:
    >
    > Power -> Backlight control
    >
    > This has two settings:
    >
    > - "Auto Restore", for which the "Item Specific Help" says "Backlight
    > brightness automatically remembered.".
    >
    > - "Auto Dim", for which it says "Maximizes battery life.".
    >
    > I hope this helps.

    Thanks for the info, but no, this isn't an option in the bios :(

    Cheers Dre

Hewlett Packard Power Adapter Power Computers