RAID Server

goldenk

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Help needed from the community.
I'm building a new server for our small business. Our current server is a pentium 133 running Novell netware 3.12 Obiviously old and out of date. I realize anything will be an improvement. We currently only have 2 GB of data, but will soon be adding more contact databases(names & addresses) as well as all of our photo files(approx 2 GB as well). My thoughts are as follows......

CPU - Athlon 1.4, 266 FSB
RAID - 1 30GB Seagate Baracuda ATA 100 mirrored for data
1 30GB " " " " " " photos.
My Questions are......
?Which mobo should I use, an I-Will KK266R or a SOYO K7-V Dragon or should I wait for the ABIT KG7?
?Do I need to use the DDR memory or is PC133 going to serve my needs just fine?
?Will I still be able to achieve a 266 FSB using the PC133 or is that only attainable with DDR?
?Is there significant difference between AMI & Promise RAID?
?Is there significant differnce between the Via chipsets and the AMD 760(761) chipsets?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
goldenk

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
The Abit KG7 MB is out now, that is the one I am going to buy for myself. Are you on a tight budget? If not go get a MB that does not have raid on board and by a RAID card for it and set up Raid 5. Plus I would use SCSI HD instead of IDE. Sounds like this will be a workstation and not a server? What else are you going to run on it?

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

Abitols

Distinguished
May 26, 2001
I´m building a small server with a Kg7-Raid and four ata 100 7200rpm ide disks on the onboard controller (Raid 0+1).
You don't need do buy a raid controller unless you want raid 5 (3 disks) which has poorer performance than raid 0+1.