Large Cursor/Pointer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hi, I don't know what I press... but sometimes (actually pretty often), I must have pressed some hot key, and the cursor becomes huge. Like double the size.

It's not just on desktop, even if I play WoW the cursor is double size also. Any way to fix this? Thanks

Solution
rlbond,
Thanks for agreeing with my earlier post. Getting the latest AMD drivers and updating BIOS will fix this issue.

However using @Bios is not recommended. There are many reports throughout this forum of people whose bios have been bricked by @Bios. Instead, the bios should be updated using Qflash, which you can either launch as your system starts up or you can enter BIOS and launch it from there.

Also, I think this thread is dead.

zazzn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I have this problem as well

I have a i5 on a gigabyte p55 ud2 board with a 5870.

It's driving me nuts when you restart the computer it works fine until it glitches to twice the size again.

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Same, i5, 5850, gigabyte p55-ud2. My friends dont have this problem. They have 4850 and gtx 250

I have a feeling it's the 5800, or the drivers. Turning on cursor trails makes it back to small, and the occasional driver crash successfully recovered thing fixes it for a while, but why does the driver crash anyway?

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

Ok I found the real problem/solution.

This happens to anyone with a 5800 series and windows 7.

Apparently the automatic power saving (Power Play) is messing this up.

It underpowers the card too much during desktop... and it crashes the driver.

What you need to do is download AMD GPU Clock Tool or Rivatuner, and set your power a bit higher (then you can even OC a bit). It might waste more money over time, but hopefully they release new drivers soon.

uncleglennie

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

I have a gigabyte p55 ud4p with a 5850 and I'm having the large cursor/ desktop freeze/crash as well. My question is how do you set your power a bit higher with AMD GPU Clock Tool? I've never use it and would appreciate your wisdom. Thanks!

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hi, just download AMD GPU Clock Tool. It works with all cards.

Fixes: Large Cursor, Driver Crash/Recovery, Video Playback Unresponsive System

There are overclock and voltage settings there. For desktop usage, just use a modest OC and set the clock. The choose the higher voltage setting and set it. Do this right when windows boots so you maintain the small mouse pointer.

Rapid_48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Can you explain exactly how to do it because I dont want to make any mistakes with AMD GPU Clock Tool.
So please if anyone know how to fix this problems please reply!

(using the tool he gave ofcourse)

I also have i5 and HD5800 series.

Thank, waiting for your reply!

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hi, if you have overclock in ATI catalyst control center, go there and set it to default clock speed.

If you didn't overclock, then skip to next step.

Download and run the AMD GPU Clock Tool. It will display your default clock and memory speeds.

You can overclock to anything you want, but just for desktop use, set each to 50 higher only. Then click the button Set Clock. Close the program.

Unlike what I posted above, you do NOT have to adjust the voltage. A tiny overclock will do the trick.

That's it. Now your mouse cursor won't enlarge and you can watch videos without computer asploding =)

Last note, you should do this right when you boot into windows, I have GPU Clock Tool in my startup folder. Because once the mouse enlarges, you can't get it back to normal size, even with this trick. It will still stop the crashes however.

Even the latest Driver did not fix this, so this thread is still valid.

Rapid_48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Hello Godzealot, first of all can I have your MSN or anything else? I'm really afraid to make a mistake.

I have 25% overclock
So I'm not sure what exactly im suppose to do mate!

I downloaded only the driver without the CCC but I will download the CCC now and check it, till then, please can you answer my first question about MSN or explain exactly :).

I'm thanksfull that u reply mate.

Godzealot

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
This has nothing to do with processor overclock. Only worry about GPU. If you don't have CCC, then your card is at default speed. Follow my directions above. You will not screw it up, all you will do is a very small overclock of 50mhz.

Rapid_48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
guess what, :(
after I restart my computer and went to youtube to watch HD video it was fine but then when I put it to full screen, mouse became large and driver crashed nonstop so i had to manually restart ;/

as you can see in the screen shot the gpu clock when im in deskto pdoesnt change even when I did overclock it by 50, both of them.

im desperate, really ;/.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

A lot of people, including myself, have been running into this problem. It's the Flash video. Running full screen Hulu or YouTube are common ways to trigger the issue.

The fix is to make sure you have the latest graphics card drivers from AMD. I have heard reports that installing Catalyst Control Center can cause issues too so the thing to do is just install the drivers. If that solves your problem then you can install Catalyst Control Center if you want too, but if you have issues after that uninstall Catalyst Control Center.
You can get the latest drivers here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

For some people it has been a two step fix. First, install the latest graphics card drivers. If that doesn't fix the problem, you should check that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard installed. (If you have a Gigabyte motherboard do NOT upgrade your BIOS from inside windows using the @BIOS software. Instead, use Qflash which can be entered from BIOS or the boot screen.)

Rapid_48

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Thank you both, I still didn't overclock from AMD Clock Tool because I'm not sure Godzealot, I need to select "Show current clocks" and then increase each one (engine and memorey by 50) or I increase the normal ones (725 and 1000)?
Waiting for your reply.

ekoostik, yes I have the latest driver from Catylst ATI main site (17/11 update).
About the bios I think I have the latest one because I bought this comp like 3 weeks ago. I dont want to mess with bios wit hthigns I dont reall yknow much about. I have 25% overclcok and I dont want to ruin it. or touch there so I prefer to try Godzealot I just need him to answer if I need to change the current or the other ones.

BTW- Godzealot, if I click show current clocks it shows 157 GPU Clock(engine) and 300 memory clock.

I'm waiting for your reply, and I'm thanksfull that u guys keep replying and willing to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.