Sign in with
Your question

The OSX86 Hackintosh FAQ v1.3

Last response: in Mac Os X
November 19, 2011 8:28:29 AM

The OSX86 Hackintosh FAQ v1.3 - Introduction
This is a sticky designed to address the most common issues regarding OS X 86. You are welcome to post your questions in this consolidated sticky so that OS X 86 users can help each others with Hackintoshing.

Hackintosh discussion is allowed on Tom's Hardware.

jpishgar said:
After reviewing the matter, OSx86 discussion is fine so long as it is within the confines of direct personal use with software that has been purchased from an authorized retailer. I emphasize "personal use".

If you simply want to make your computer look like Mac OS X see the following links:

Linux (Macbuntu)

Windows (Snow leopard transformation pack)

You can find lots of hackintosh resources on this site:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

Or around the web (it makes no sense to keep this sticky updated for every single release/update of OSX86).

As a general rule, Gigabyte motherboards and Intel CPUs work well with Hackintoshes.

Check a Hackintosh guide

If you were wondering if your computer is compatible.

http://www.insanelymac.com/osx86db/

Before purchasing your Hackintosh, take a look at some of the pitfalls of owning one as well:

Hackintosh vs. Mac Workstation

More about : osx86 hackintosh faq

June 18, 2012 6:09:49 PM

Intel chipsets and CPUs usually have better compatibility than others. Also the list at insanelymac.com is NOT a complete list! Test your hardware if you think it might be compatible and do a youtube (or forums) search to see if any body else has tried with similar hardware.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 2, 2012 1:37:25 PM

Hackintosh is not very correct use of Mac OS X. It is filled with viruses and will kill your computer. It is immoral to use Hackintoshes because it deprives orphans of money. It is piracy and can be punishable by law. I suggest that Hackintosh be banned on Tom's Hardware. It does not represent the Mac OS X section to grow lemons without the DNA of the lemon tree, thus we need to cut down the lemons of fake from China. Hackintoshes will poison your computer with more viruses the more you use it.
July 2, 2012 5:27:05 PM

macgirlfriend said:
Hackintosh is not very correct use of Mac OS X. It is filled with viruses and will kill your computer. It is immoral to use Hackintoshes because it deprives orphans of money. It is piracy and can be punishable by law. I suggest that Hackintosh be banned on Tom's Hardware. It does not represent the Mac OS X section to grow lemons without the DNA of the lemon tree, thus we need to cut down the lemons of fake from China. Hackintoshes will poison your computer with more viruses the more you use it.

..........I hope that's sarcasm..........
August 11, 2012 3:17:11 AM

Can I run Hackintosh on my system?

Dell Dimension E521
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
RAM: 4GB DDR2 667
Motherboard: Dell U14-MCP51 GeForce 6150LE BTX
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GT 220
HDD: WD Caviar 320GB SATA 2
SSD: OCZ Octane 64GB Indilinx SATA 2
Power Supply: Dell NPS-305FB D
Case: Dell Dimension E521
DVD-RW Drive: No Name POS
Card Reader: Rosewill RCR-IC002
August 20, 2012 4:40:50 PM

Start a new thread to ask your questions please.
December 15, 2012 8:24:48 PM

Quote:

whooleo said:
..........I hope that's sarcasm..........

Not sarcasm, just stupidity :)  If a 'Hackintosh' can get viruses running the same OS on the same(ish) gear that 'original' MAC OS X on, then you're saying Macs are subject to increased virii, which we all know is incorrect. Either you're a fanboy of Apple or just ignorant, either way, you should research before posting or at the least, please say IMO on your post so you don't mislead people or misrepresent those that experiment with OS X on non Apple hardware. Please and thank you.
December 16, 2012 6:55:07 PM

scottiemedic said:
Quote:

Not sarcasm, just stupidity :)  If a 'Hackintosh' can get viruses running the same OS on the same(ish) gear that 'original' MAC OS X on, then you're saying Macs are subject to increased virii, which we all know is incorrect. Either you're a fanboy of Apple or just ignorant, either way, you should research before posting or at the least, please say IMO on your post so you don't mislead people or misrepresent those that experiment with OS X on non Apple hardware. Please and thank you.

I still think it was sarcasm..........
December 18, 2012 6:28:28 PM

Inappropriate either way. People, including newbs are looking at respected sites like Tom's and others for experience and knowledge. If someone was thinking about taking on an OS X project and saw this, they may not know any better.
Doesn't really matter. I'm trying to convince TH to open a Hackintosh sub forum for issues relating to OS X on non native hardware. Haven't heard, but I'm hoping they will make me a Mod or Admin so I can look over it in case things like this happen. Now I just need to convince the powers to be...
December 18, 2012 7:22:26 PM

scottiemedic said:
Inappropriate either way. People, including newbs are looking at respected sites like Tom's and others for experience and knowledge. If someone was thinking about taking on an OS X project and saw this, they may not know any better.
Doesn't really matter. I'm trying to convince TH to open a Hackintosh sub forum for issues relating to OS X on non native hardware. Haven't heard, but I'm hoping they will make me a Mod or Admin so I can look over it in case things like this happen. Now I just need to convince the powers to be...

I agree it's something this site could use, however there are more comprehensive sites out there (InsanlyMac comes to mind).
December 19, 2012 5:44:08 AM

Personally, I would say there is no more need for such a subforum than there is for one on, for example, running Linux on ARM processors. I don't think that Tom's needs forums that are quite that specialized, especially when there are already very good sites dealing with such topics.

Having said that, I have no problem with people being given general advice on the topic, pointing them elsewhere for more detailed information.
December 22, 2012 9:24:32 PM

Tom's lacks the expertise to answer these questions more or less of the time.
December 23, 2013 10:26:01 PM

reubenvm said:
Can I run Hackintosh on my system?

Dell Dimension E521
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
RAM: 4GB DDR2 667
Motherboard: Dell U14-MCP51 GeForce 6150LE BTX
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GT 220
HDD: WD Caviar 320GB SATA 2
SSD: OCZ Octane 64GB Indilinx SATA 2
Power Supply: Dell NPS-305FB D
Case: Dell Dimension E521
DVD-RW Drive: No Name POS
Card Reader: Rosewill RCR-IC002

Anything is possible. But it may be more trouble than it is worth. As far as I know there are no AMD hackintoshes. These sites are great starting points if you are sincerely interested:

1) http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-bu...
2) www.tonymacx86.com
3) www.osx86project.org
January 18, 2014 8:19:38 AM

I'm a member over at tonymacs and have had some great advice. I still think a hackintosh section would be good even just to let more people know that it exists. It could be more of a "look what I done" section, with pointers and a little help for newbies.

Gary.
January 18, 2014 8:21:04 AM

BTW I have built about 5 or six hacks (all with bought and paid for 10.x). Apple still make money for the small percentage of us hackintoshers.

You are not breaking the law per se, just breaking your terms and conditions (depending on where you stay).

Gary.
March 7, 2014 3:06:50 AM

Hi, I have installed hackintosh 10.8.5 Mountain Lion on my Asus K40IE.
Problems are shutdown and sleep not working, ethernet card not working, mouse and keyboard not working too.

Please help me, I'm a noob in hackintosh. If anybody have kext for my laptop, it will be gratefull. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm from Indonesia :) 
Please help me :) 
March 29, 2014 1:52:18 AM

strifescream said:
Hi, I have installed hackintosh 10.8.5 Mountain Lion on my Asus K40IE.
Problems are shutdown and sleep not working, ethernet card not working, mouse and keyboard not working too.

Please help me, I'm a noob in hackintosh. If anybody have kext for my laptop, it will be gratefull. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm from Indonesia :) 
Please help me :) 

1) Do you have the correct DSDT file for your motherboard? Are you aware that the sleep functions are a major issue for all Hackintoshes?
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/

2) Do you know what the above question means? If not, you need stop now and do lots of reading here: tonymacx86.com - Hackintosh Basics

3) Is your NIC compatible with OS X; on board, external USB or PCI(e)?
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/

4) How are you able to determine what is and what is not functioning without a keyboard or mouse, nor the ability to VNC or Remote into the machine via ethernet? You have no I/O

5) The question regarding your laptop hurt my brain.

So READ before you continue doing anything else: http://www.tonymacx86.com/forum.php
April 8, 2014 4:11:29 PM

If Hackintosh "kills" your computer, it should be banned from Tom's Hardware, ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS A RISK OF INFECTING A COMPUTER!!!!! In no such way should pirated software, operating systems, etc. should be allowed on Tom's Hardware. Some newbie could run across this thread, install Hackintosh, and then that person goes to jail, gets fined, etc.

MODS, PLEASE BAN HACKINTOSH FROM TOM'S HARDWARE.
April 8, 2014 6:26:20 PM

CompGee said:
If Hackintosh "kills" your computer, it should be banned from Tom's Hardware, ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS A RISK OF INFECTING A COMPUTER!!!!! In no such way should pirated software, operating systems, etc. should be allowed on Tom's Hardware. Some newbie could run across this thread, install Hackintosh, and then that person goes to jail, gets fined, etc.

Wow that's a good idea!! Except that no one has confirmed that it "kills" your computer, rendering the issue moot.

Since CompGee seems competent enough to dictate policy based on conjecture. Might the Mods also want to task CompGee to go through every single post here to somehow verify that every Windows user does in fact have a legitimate copy of Windows on their machines?

And also verifying that license was purchased for each piece of software discussed herein?
April 8, 2014 10:49:44 PM

^ HAHAHA, best response ever!!
April 9, 2014 5:08:54 AM

Hackintosh? Consider these quotes:

Quote:
Hackintosh is not very correct use of Mac OS X. It is filled with viruses and will kill your computer. It is immoral to use Hackintoshes because it deprives orphans of money. It is piracy and can be punishable by law. I suggest that Hackintosh be banned on Tom's Hardware. It does not represent the Mac OS X section to grow lemons without the DNA of the lemon tree, thus we need to cut down the lemons of fake from China. Hackintoshes will poison your computer with more viruses the more you use it

Quote:
CompGee said:

April 9, 2014 6:53:13 AM

If ...

I think I've spotted the flaw in your argument.
April 9, 2014 11:49:35 PM

CompGee said:

There's a disclaimer that basically says that if you use our advice - it is just that. We are not responsible for loss of data nor loss of property as per our terms and conditions.

Joe, the forum manager hath decreed that Hackintosh discussion is permissable.

If evidence can be found of a user diliberately posting viruses, they will be disciplined.

Until such an even, Hackintosh discussion is open.
April 14, 2014 9:08:03 PM

CompGee said:
Hackintosh? Consider these quotes:

Quote:
Hackintosh is not very correct use of Mac OS X. It is filled with viruses and will kill your computer. It is immoral to use Hackintoshes because it deprives orphans of money. It is piracy and can be punishable by law. I suggest that Hackintosh be banned on Tom's Hardware. It does not represent the Mac OS X section to grow lemons without the DNA of the lemon tree, thus we need to cut down the lemons of fake from China. Hackintoshes will poison your computer with more viruses the more you use it

Quote:
CompGee said:

You've managed to quote your own argument, again, without any reinforcement. Not to mention you also quoted a post riddled with sarcasm.

Unless it truly IS taking food away from orphans!! At any rate, if said orphans cannot fend for themselves, they should fall victim to the inevitable end that is typical of the surplus population.
April 15, 2014 4:52:03 AM

Do you want me to test Hackintosh in a isolated virtual machine?
April 15, 2014 11:16:29 PM

You state:

CompGee said:
...it should be banned from Tom's Hardware... In no such way should pirated software, operating systems, etc. should be allowed on Tom's Hardware.... then that person goes to jail, gets fined, etc.

Followed by:

CompGee said:
Do you want me to test Hackintosh in a isolated virtual machine?

I bet you won't scar-die cat!! If you do, I'll totally tell Mom.

So you're willing to risk "breaking the law" and being branded a hypocrite JUST to stick it to your dissenters and detractors? That's cool with me. Meanwhile I'll be eating ice cream and holding a candlelight vigil until you post your findings.

Although you must follow the procedures spelled out at TonyMacX86.com! Including but not limited to the method described for obtaining a copy of Mavericks or Mountain Lion. I hope you have access to a computer running OS X because point #1 in the UniBeast method: Download the OS X Mavericks Application from the Mac App Store . Which, as we all know, is a source littered with malicious software and compromised versions of their distributed OS. Oh wait, no it isn't.....or is it?!? (insert eerie music from 70's horror movie)

You must also maintain a strict adherence to the Rules posted on TonyMaxX86.com's Rules. First bullet point: This site does not condone piracy or the use of illegally acquired software. Any use, discussion, links to or mentions of a pre-built VM, torrent, distribution, downloaded, copied, cloned, hacked or modified installer of the operating system will result in an instant ban and account deletion. Piracy is ILLEGAL and NOT TOLERATED.

Alright, maybe you don't have access to a Mac running OS X, fine. Then how to you plan to download the OS? Would it be from somewhere other than Apple? How would this wacky en devour of obtaining software from a source other than the manufacturer be any less risky than for any other piece of distributed software in the Milky Way system. Knowing full well the goofballs in the Andromeda system do things ass-backwards. Those silly gooses wear hats on their FEET...talk about living on the edge.

This will be my final reply to you since the points you raise have reached a level of absurdity while polluting and diluting this thread, both your and mine and others acknowledging you.
April 20, 2014 9:47:24 AM

This is so typical of a non-thinking Mac user.
Check out the new Mac Pro's temperatures. They are awful. Very high.
They do have a really interesting idea of attaching all heat producing devices to one huge heatsink. That may be utterly brilliant. But obviously either the heatsink doesn't have enough area or the fans are not moving enough air because it just doesn't cool very well at all. That doesn't negate the possibilities though of this design. Imagine if your ram and chipsets somehow being attached to the heatsink. Make it a square. One side for the CPU, another side for the chipset and ram, and the two other sides for 2 video cards. Or make it hexagonal for more video cards!
!