Should I let my 14-year old play Deus Ex?

bradkman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
My 14-year old really wants to get Deus Ex for PC, but its rated mature. For the individuals that have played the game, my question is; should I let him play this game, or is it not suitable for kids his age? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Absolutely! Your son is a lot cleverer than you might think. I remember being 14. I did a lot, lot, LOT worse things than play Deus Ex and I turned out fine. Let him play all the games and movies he wants as long as he's active, doesn't do drugs/alchohol, does well in school, and is a responsible kid.

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
You shouldn't let him play any games what so ever. Kids don't need to play games, and hell, they don't even really enjoy them. What your kid really wants to do, and would really enjoy doing, is reading a book, or working out on a farm for a few hours each day. Kids also enjoy doing volunteer work at hospice centers and coloring in coloring books right before dinner every evening. You could also set aside some quality time when they get home from school in the afternoon to do puzzles on the kitchen table. If you want, every day after they finish the puzzle, just knock it off the table so they can start it again the next day. It will increase the replay value 100 percent.

ulysses35

Distinguished
there are two ways of looking at the choice tgo let him play or not.

Pros :- you know where he is, what he is doing, he is not getting involved in gangs / drugs etc

Cons :- Antisocial beahiour, no exercise, no fresh air

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Well, I'm sure he's done much worse stuff in life than play a violent video game. If he wants it (and deserves to get something he wants)- buy it for him. It's a game with great action, a good story and a thoughtful backdrop. It even raises some interesting questions about people, though of course it depends on players and whether they're willing to look at it at that level. Bottom line- if he's at least a remotely NORMAL kid, you won't be doing him ANY damage. It's nothing worse than watching a Schwarzenneger movie.

Oh and it's a freakin' awesome game. You'll definitely score some points if you buy it for him, just don't check him every five minutes for signs of abnormal behavior when he plays ;)

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
The game does not have any explicit adult content barring the use of the 'F' word every now and then.

That apart, the game requires a lot of patience and even so a bit of thinking. That is to say, the player is required to make choices along the path. These choices can be looked upon as moral and/ or immoral. For eg, in a hostage situation, you may choose to let the terrorist go or you could kill him or you could reason/ negotiate with him. It's a good way to see the way a persons mind works, especially younger kids.

I think you should decide for yourself based on the above. However, 14 years old is not an age where a child is not totally unaware of the brutalities/ moralities in the ways of the world. Personally, I'd let him play. :)

I have a 14 year old son (almost 15). The way I look at it is if the television he's watching is worse than the game, why not let him have the game?

My son is a huge Star Wars fan and has all the movies. If he can watch people getting slaughtered with light sabres, why can't he see someone get killed in a game? I allow my son to play some M rated games, but I always play through it first to make sure there's nothing extremely bad. My son hears enough colorful language on the school bus, so hearing it in game is no different. I just make sure he understands that this isn't the kind of language he should be using and if he's caught using it he'll be punished. As for the shooter games, my son knows right from wrong and games vs. reality.

As a parent, you will need to decide for yourself.

the content is not too bad, some language, and you get to kill people, but that is a standard gaming 'feature' so i'd say go ahead. And I would expect that if you played it through you'd agree as well, assuming you are a reasonably mature adult with fairly 'normal' views. It will get him thinking. Just make sure its human revolution and not either of the originals, i've just had a look at the first one, and it is very dated.

if he is playing on your specs he'll be fine.

if you think your child is mature enough then theres no reason why he shouldnt be allowed to play... but make sure you get something out of it.... say the dishes washed or his room tidied ... its a 25+hour game so you should get at least a week of chores out of him/ her for it... ;)

bradkman

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks everyone for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I've decided to let him play the game (I got it for free with my video card purchase). I let him read all your comments, which made him very happy, because I told him it was up to the TH community whether he would get to play or not. LOL!

Thanks again!!!

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

I guess that makes us all feel a bit like 'daddies' to him! :) Have fun junior!

-ken-

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Well, I didn't played "Deus Ex" much but I think its okay for him to play it :) Its isn't about just killing shooting and every time, some levels requires some thinking :D
You can always watch him playing, see what he does in the game and make a decision if its good or bad.
Overall some games are good for brain exercise :na: Personally I learned some history from historical rts games, I think even more then in school :p
I am sorry if someone already mentioned that :)