Advice?, Suspect PSU

G

I need advice. I just installed the K7S5A with a 1.4 GHz and 256 DDR. The system will run beautifully for as long as I want and will reboot as many times as I want, as long as I don't turn off the power. As soon as I do a complete shutdown and the power is off, it won't boot again. Nothing will come on my monitor and my cdrom drives will just flash their lights. I assume it is due to an inadequate power supply, because I have heard that a computer draws the most juice when you first flip it on. I looked on AMD's website for my power supply and they only recommend using it up to 1.1 GHz. The PSU is an AGI HEC-300AR 300 W. Another interesting fact, when I leave my computer for a long time and boot from the power off state it will work. I thought that may be because the electrical resistance goes up with temperature (and after it's been sitting for a long time it gets cold enough for my power supply to be effective). But if my computer has been on for a little while and I shut it down completely and try to boot up a couple seconds later, I get the problem I mentioned above. Do you think I'm right about the power supply being inadequate? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by miZanthrope on 08/31/01 11:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is starting to be a common problem with this board and that chip. Yes it is related to your power supply but try this.......remove the chip and connect the one unconnected l7 bridge whith a pencil which will default your chips voltage to 1.85v. This should take care of the problem...or get a bigger power supply. I suggest you try the former first.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

G

Thanks for the help. Tonight I'm going to buy a monster of a PSU, a 400 W Antec. I'm hoping that'll do the trick. I'd try the pencil stuff, but when it comes to all this I'm still a novice. So I'm not real comfortable yet. This summer is the first time I've done an upgrade this major. I've learned a lot, and I can feel myself becoming a hardware addict (I'll never again have someone else build a PC for me).