Error downloading windows update

October 4, 2004 8:30:32 PM

I recently purchased Norton Systemworks 2005 but could
not install it because of an error in the windows
installer package. When i tried doing a windows update,
error number: 0x80070424 came up and said the requested
page could not be displayed. Any ideas for what to do?
Thank you very much!

Mikell
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 12:20:19 AM

I found this on your particular error:

0x80070424 ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST

Due to a bug in BITS 1.5 OOB setup, after BITS 1.5 install, the BITS service is
deleted, but the 1.5 install returns success code. BITS 1.5 binaries are copied to
the machine, but the service doesn't exist. This can also happen if the BITS service
is explicitly deleted by running the command sc delete bits

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showar...
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showar...

If I have been unable to assist then perhaps the WU NG

Windows Update newsgroup:
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

!