hollow2010

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I am attempting to do a clean install of Windows Home Edition on my PC that is currently running Professional. After booting from the cd, it asks me what partition I want to install on. To perform a CLEAN install, should I;

A. Install on the same partition that exists.

B. Delete the partition, create a new partition and THEN install windows? (The partition is the system partition)

Thanks for your help!

RichPLS

Champion
Good catch, Ned.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
I can not see any benefit for going backwards from pro to home.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
If he's using the computer at home... nothing is wrong with Home edition. Pro edition really isn't much of a benefit when you're not in that kind of work environment. Still, people will argue Pro is better and blah blah. I wouldn't call it going backwards though.

And he probably does have the legit copy of that one.. not too many people buy the Pro version for home use.

RichPLS

Champion
I got the oem XP Pro full version for home use online for $80
At best there is only a $30 price difference.
And the Pro version qualifies you to get a free upgrade to XP 64-bit, not to mention better security features.

riser

Illustrious
Yeah, but that's geared more towards companies, not home use.
Do you really need the authentication features for a home computer? That's what you're paying for.. the ability to connect and secure a domain network.

Yes, you get the extra security, but it doesn't really do anything for you when you're using it at home.

Home edition will not connect to a domain.. meaning it doesn't need all the security for using a domain.. thus 'Home' version..

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
If the PRO copy is legitimate then for god sake use it - you may as well take advantage of the extra features on offer. Also no point paying again for a less featured version of an OS you already own!

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I was wondering the same thing ... but we do get some strange questions from time to time ...

<b>"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."</b> <b>Hunter S. Thompson, <b><i> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas</i>, 1965.</b>