usb 2.0 reduced speed

I have xpsp2 and this problem has been with me since
before i updated from xpsp1. it says
The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will
function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-
SPEED port.
My it even gives me a list of ports to plug into, but
everyone I plug into says the same above error message.
Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about reduced speed

    j wrote on 04-Oct-2004 6:08 PM:
    > I have xpsp2 and this problem has been with me since
    > before i updated from xpsp1. it says
    > The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will
    > function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-
    > SPEED port.
    > My it even gives me a list of ports to plug into, but
    > everyone I plug into says the same above error message.
    > Any ideas?

    Your machine is old and has only USB 1.1 ports.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

    Hi,

    I also experience the same problem, and my machine (IBM Thinkpad R40)
    definitely has USB 2.0 ports. An external had disk works fine stand-alone, my
    (USB 2.0 high speed) USB Hub is only recognized as full-speed.

    If anyone has a hint how to fix this I definitely would appreciate it!

    Thanks in advance, best regards,
    Max

    "Kent W. England [MVP]" wrote:

    > j wrote on 04-Oct-2004 6:08 PM:
    > > I have xpsp2 and this problem has been with me since
    > > before i updated from xpsp1. it says
    > > The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will
    > > function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-
    > > SPEED port.
    > > My it even gives me a list of ports to plug into, but
    > > everyone I plug into says the same above error message.
    > > Any ideas?
    >
    > Your machine is old and has only USB 1.1 ports.
    >
    > --
    > Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

    I see this often on the 865G systems I build; dunno if it's peculiar
    to that OS or general... sometimes when a USB 2.0 device is plugged
    in, it moans about the port being slow.

    Same story; USB 2.0 in hardware, drivers OK, etc. Device Manager
    shows the usual bunch of USB plus one USB 2.0; whether that means only
    one socket will run as 2.0 and others not, I don't know.

    I suspect it may have something to do with how cleanly things are
    plugged in, or whether some busy process interferes with detection, or
    whether some timeout is set too early.

    Looks pretty flaky, I have to say.

    On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:11:05 -0800, Max <Max@discussions.microsoft.com>

    >I also experience the same problem, and my machine (IBM Thinkpad R40)
    >definitely has USB 2.0 ports. An external had disk works fine stand-alone, my
    >(USB 2.0 high speed) USB Hub is only recognized as full-speed.

    >"Kent W. England [MVP]" wrote:
    >> j wrote on 04-Oct-2004 6:08 PM:

    >> > The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will
    >> > function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-
    >> > SPEED port.

    I'm baaaack!

USB Microsoft Windows XP