Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video problems with WCIII, KOTOR using nVidia GTX 460

Last response: in Video Games
September 19, 2011 9:13:52 PM

I just built a new system and was trying out some of my older games, specifically Warcraft III and Stars Wars KOTOR. I'm running into some video issues with these games but newer games like Starcraft II and Deus Ex HR run fine. I was wondering if this is a known conflict or where I should be looking for compatibility issues. I have the latest nvidia drivers installed. I hear there are some issues with Windows 7 with many games.

WCIII issue:
In game video just give a black screen, but audio is fine and the monitor is still receiving signal.

Star Wars KOTOR:
Icon appears in start bar but the game never loads. It loaded one time, but was really laggy and I could not click on any menus.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
Processor: i5-2500K
Mobo: Biostar TZ68A+
Memory: Patriot PSD38G1600K 8gb
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 460 1gb
running 1920x1080 resolution

Thanks!
September 19, 2011 10:55:49 PM

I have read that KOTOR I & II are not compatible with Windows 7 even if you set the compatibility mode to Windows XP.
m
l
September 19, 2011 11:17:05 PM

Thanks! That could definitely be it. I'll try getting XP onto my system and see if that works.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2011 11:36:24 PM

Yeah, KOTOR will work with XP. I'm re-playing KOTOR II on my XP machine.
m
l
September 20, 2011 6:44:51 AM

I loaded it up from Steam out of curiosity, and it does run on my Win 7 PC.
m
l

Best solution

September 20, 2011 7:06:21 AM

KotOR 1 and 2 can run on Windows 7, but they do have some issues. The game doesn't like any OS newer than XP. For KotOR II there is a fan patch that does allow the game to run in Windows 7 relatively bug free, look for the Windows Vista Fix on kotorfiles. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was done for KotOR.
September 20, 2011 8:25:20 AM

Great, thanks. I tried setting my WCIII to Windows XP compatibility and the video runs now (although not perfectly). After I did that, KOTOR began to work. Not sure how they're connected, but it's all good now. :) 
m
l
September 20, 2011 8:27:04 AM

Best answer selected by snakesushi.
m
l
!