PCI card for SCSI

Hi all, ok wrong forum for what I am about to ask but since I get little response down there I am trying here.

I have an Acer Prisa 610s scanner on SCSI ISA card, my new M/B only has PCI expansion slots, I need suggestions and information on a PCI/SCSI card that is compatable with my scanner. Can all SCSI interface scanners, HDD's, cd's all be running from the one SCSI card?

I have mailed the tech support at ACER with no response as of yet.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Medication helps :smile:

Yep thankyou for replying Crash'.

If I want scsi HDD's can I have the scanner on the same line is what I really want to know, and having a narrow width device will/wont slow down everything else?

Another thing, are Adaptec scsi cards considered good?

This is what Iam looking at.(For US$ divide by half)

Adaptec~AD29160N
OEM 29160N PCI 32-bit Bus SCSI Bare Card, Ultra 160 SCSI 68 & 50 pin $489.50 Aud (Thinking this one)

Adaptec~AD2930
2930 PCI Bus SCSI Controller, 50-pin int and ext connectors, Retail box $225.50 Aud

I will be buying from <A HREF="http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/" target="_new">Auspcmarket</A>/controllers.

For the scanner, if separate pci card is required there are a number of cheap versions, what should I look out for in a card?

Sure ask a lot of questions dont I.

Thankyou for your assistance.

Medication helps :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Every time I put a SCSI scanner or SCSI zip drive on a 50-pin SCSI II chain, the entire chain slows down to SCSI 1 speeds. OUCH. So I would put the scanner on a chain with slower devices, such as a SCSI ZIP, SCSI floppy, etc.

Other SCSI guys tell me they've never had that problem, so maybe I've been doing something wrong?

Back to you Tom...

Thanks for the reply.
Was readin up on it in the meantime and apparently ya got to put slower drives from 0 to 5 or 6 and pos'7 is for the main fastest drive then the rest of the faster drives from 8 upwards or whatever on the chain. So much to learn about it, to much info overload at present and to expensive to experiment.

Well what if I get a el'cheapo card for the short term until I work this out, whats the best cheapest buy in your opinion for average performance for my scanner? (anything worthwhile on the site link above?)

Much appreciated.

Medication helps :smile:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/03/01 04:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jc14all

Crashman gives good advice, and I agree with him on all points. Yes, Adaptec is very reliable for SCSI controllers, and with most of their controllers they are backwards compatible. Meaning that you can connect slower devices to their own bus chain, seperate from the faster bus chain devices whithout degredation (as long as you give the slower device the highest priority on the SCSI bus, e.g., a slower CD ROM should be asigned and ID # of 3-6, and faster HDD ID # 0-2 (higher ID has the highest priority).

Sorry, didn't mean to get too technical, but your SCSI scanner should coexist fine along with your other SCSI devices. One other thing to consider, if you are planning to upgrade to Win2k/XP, you may want to check hardware compatibility also for your older devices. :cool:

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Ok, confused more than ever, but hey technical is good, keeps me thinking..lol.. Thankyou.

Medication helps :smile:

What about this card for the short term until I get some $$$

<A HREF="http://www.tekram.com/hot_products.asp?Product=DC-3X5_Series" target="_new">#TEKDC315U </A>
Tekram DC315U PCI SCSI card 20mb/sec 50-pin int & ext..$66.00 AUD ($30 USD)This is very cheap for here, that concerns me somewhat.

Any opinions please?

I have Win ME o/s and a few spare pci slots.

Medication helps :smile:

jc14all

Here is some good technical reference info. <A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/confIDs-c.html" target="_new">SCSI ID's</A> that you may find interesting.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Thankyou Crashman for you replies and advice, very much appreciated.

Medication helps :smile:

jc14all

The Tekram DC315U card that you referenced looks good, but it only went as far as 98/95/NT for compatibility.

I know that cost is your concern at the moment. However, from my experience I made the wrong decision based on cost limitations.

What I mean is that I purchased the cheapest SCSI controller that I could afford at the moment instead of waiting until I had enough $$ to do better. In the long run I ended up spending three times as much a couple years later to meet the requirements of ever changing technical advancement.

Just a recommendation, and I'm not a salesman :smile: but try to find a not too pricey card that at least meets the standards of today's technology. Good Luck!

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

jc14all

Me OS, not according to the link in your post. Just be sure you are getting exactly what you need. Some companies will lure you in by offering you software upgrades for their soon to be obsolete hardware. Remember, you always get exactly what you pay for.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jc14all on 09/02/01 04:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Can someone refresh my memory please. I haven't touched SCSI since college so I was wondering...

ID#s are 0-15 and one of them is already reserved?

Its good to get quality advice, be lucky to get anything like this at the local puter shop! let alone from tech support from a manufacturer.

Medication helps :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I still reccomend the 2940, as it is compatable with every operating system, cheap (around $30 used, but also available cheaper in trash systems). It's been around for maybe 8 years and will work with all your SCSI II devices )(supports SCSI 3 devices at the slower SCSI II rate). Perfect for all your slower devices, such as CD-ROM's Zip drives and scanners.

Back to you Tom...

Would not even know where to find a trashed one over here. I think I might just wait until I have the $$$ for the 29160 32bit, no need for 64bit right?

What about the Adaptec 2930 PCI Bus SCSI Controller, 50-pin int and ext? Reason being its available at my purchase site.

Medication helps :smile:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/03/01 07:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

My email to Acer....