I have these parts sitting doing nothing, so I thought I'd knock together a system for browsing the web, e-mail, trying out software etc.

IBM 60GXP 40GB ATA100 (I bought 3, but I only need 2 for my other system.)
32MB Rage Fury Pro AGP 2x
256MB PC-100
SB AWE64 (ISA)
Midi tower + 300W PSU

Now I can get a really good price for a 200MHz FSB Athlon 900MHz. Is there a stable, but cheap mobo to suit? (I wondered about the KT7A)

Or should I just go for a BX solution?

I don't want to go CUSL2 etc, cos I'll be wasting a fine mobo for this secondary system.

<b> :smile: <font color=blue>They changed the sig of the week!</font color=blue> :smile: </b>

Check out the ECS K7S5A sis 735 chipset motherboard on pricewatch or visit the ECS website. Prices run $60-70. Read about it by going forward to various pages in this forum and the Anandtech motherboard forum. If you are not an experienced pc builder, find someone to help you when you install it. I was just reading about some problems with the ECS board with rebooting. The board may have some problems with the 266 versions of the athlon, and require a 350-400 watt power supply. I use an Fic AD11 board with the AMD 761 chipset for about $108. No major problems in two months. Only complaint is the lack of fsb selections, and no extra fan headers. I use adapters that work directly off the power supply.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by o1die on 09/01/01 07:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check out the FIC boards at newegg.com, they are very inexpensinve and maybe what you are looking for. They have generally good rep for stability.
Good Luck, Take-Out

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
The ECS board with SIS 735 is the best performing Athlon motherboard and is stable (according to reviewers), and is only $60.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!