Damaged PS/2 ports?

G

Hey,
I've had my Abit KT7-RAID since about last January. It's been working perfectly fine for me until last Thrusday. The keyboard stopped responding correctly that night. While I was typing, sometimes I'd press, for example, R and the Windows menu would pop up, or A and the "Find" box would come up. The next day, the keyboard stopped responding completely, and on startup, I'd get an almost gurgling-sounding beep from my system speaker. Well, it's hard to describe, actually... It's just not a solid beep, and it would stop whenever the computer wasn't loading anything.

I tried cleaning the dust out of my case with compressed air. Now I just have a shiny, new-looking, broken motherboard. I'd check the actual physical connections within the PS/2 ports themselves, but the metal bracket/box/whatever you wanna call it around them is sodered. Only physical problem I've noticed was the plastic part of the female keyboard PS/2 port is worn, but I don't see how that could be the problem.

And don't suggest buying a new keyboard (already did) or getting into the BIOS (duh!).

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could try going USB.

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>

G

I would love if the keyboard was the problem, but it isn't. On Friday, I got a new keyboard, and that one didn't work either.

And, Negaverse, I completely agree with you, but I don't want to spend $30-$50 on a simple USB keyboard. :(

G

I dont know how good they are but you can get ps/2 to USB adapters. I have a usb to ps/2 adapter in my kit, so I am not entirely sure about getting one in the opposite configuration.

Medication helps :smile: