Pavilion 754n DVD writer problem

Ok, last year I found a 754n pavilion in the dumpster outside a
Servepro (fire damage cleaning biz). It had obviously been on in a
smoke filled room, but had no visible damage. The HDD had been
stripped and that's it. I took it home, discovered the power supply
had burned out. Instead of paying the $180 bucks for a new hp power
supply, I got a fancy ass new tower for $50 with a power supply. So
I clean everything off, swap everything over, turn it on, it runs
like a dream, no problem. Almost.
It has a DVD writer in it and I can't get it to work. It will read
CD's and DVD's, but won't write anything or play DVDs(the title
screen will come up, but I get an error every time I try to play). I
installed and am running GTA San Andreas off it so it can't be damaged
too bad.
I use Nero and it won't let me select it even. Since the HDD was
missing, I downloaded all the drivers for it and it asks me everytime
I turn it on to look for new firmware for it, but it still doesn't
work. Anyone run into something like this before?
Thanks.
Pat.
2 answers Last reply
More about pavilion 754n writer problem

    Suggestion: Replace the drive. You've already gotten your money's worth.

    If you want to persist, try a vendor-agnostic CD/DVD burning package like
    CDBurnerXPPro. It's free and works with most any drive.

    It's possible that the version of Nero you installed does not have the drive
    make/model in its list of acceptable drives... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:32:15 GMT, meyerp006@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
    (meyerp006) wrote:

    >Ok, last year I found a 754n pavilion in the dumpster outside a
    >Servepro (fire damage cleaning biz). It had obviously been on in a
    >smoke filled room, but had no visible damage. The HDD had been
    >stripped and that's it. I took it home, discovered the power supply
    >had burned out. Instead of paying the $180 bucks for a new hp power
    >supply, I got a fancy ass new tower for $50 with a power supply. So
    >I clean everything off, swap everything over, turn it on, it runs
    >like a dream, no problem. Almost.
    >It has a DVD writer in it and I can't get it to work. It will read
    >CD's and DVD's, but won't write anything or play DVDs(the title
    >screen will come up, but I get an error every time I try to play). I
    >installed and am running GTA San Andreas off it so it can't be damaged
    >too bad.
    >I use Nero and it won't let me select it even. Since the HDD was
    >missing, I downloaded all the drivers for it and it asks me everytime
    >I turn it on to look for new firmware for it, but it still doesn't
    >work. Anyone run into something like this before?
    >Thanks.
    >Pat.

    Thanks for the advice, CDBurnerXPPro worked perfectly.

    Pat.

Hewlett Packard Pavilion Power Supplies Computers