cannot right click on desktop

Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.
Recently I formated my computer and basically stated from
scratch with installations. I had XP pro on my machine
before this point and everything worked just fine. After
the format however I discovered that I couldn't right click
on my desktop and pull up the menu. It is as if I've
automatically selected the "arrange" option in the menu
that should be there. Connected with this problem is the
inability to copy and paste files between folders and the
inability to make new folders within the windows
environment (I can make new folders using something like my
FTP program). I used the upgrade from windows 98
(incidently in Windows 98 there isn't a single problem with
the exception that one of my games won't work). Origionally
it was thought that due to a bad CD ROM that things weren't
being installed properly. So, again I started over from
scratch (I had problems with uninstalling XP - it caused a
windows protection error) once I had a good ROM, but the
problem persisted and this time there were new ones, like
the fact that any game I install will load for a brief
moment and then crash without error.

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what might be the
problem here? I'm thinking the problems are all connected,
at least it seems that way. Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot click desktop

    Open your Control Panel, open the Mouse folder,
    look under the Buttons tab, and set the Right button
    to "Right-click (default)".

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Chelle" wrote:

    | Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.
    | Recently I formated my computer and basically stated from
    | scratch with installations. I had XP pro on my machine
    | before this point and everything worked just fine. After
    | the format however I discovered that I couldn't right click
    | on my desktop and pull up the menu. It is as if I've
    | automatically selected the "arrange" option in the menu
    | that should be there. Connected with this problem is the
    | inability to copy and paste files between folders and the
    | inability to make new folders within the windows
    | environment (I can make new folders using something like my
    | FTP program). I used the upgrade from windows 98
    | (incidently in Windows 98 there isn't a single problem with
    | the exception that one of my games won't work). Origionally
    | it was thought that due to a bad CD ROM that things weren't
    | being installed properly. So, again I started over from
    | scratch (I had problems with uninstalling XP - it caused a
    | windows protection error) once I had a good ROM, but the
    | problem persisted and this time there were new ones, like
    | the fact that any game I install will load for a brief
    | moment and then crash without error.
    |
    | Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what might be the
    | problem here? I'm thinking the problems are all connected,
    | at least it seems that way. Thanks in advance.

    Changing this only means that then I can not left click on
    the desktop to open the menu, nor does it fix the problem
    with the inability to create folders and the inability to
    copy and paste between folders. Basically I can't do
    anything that is linked with using right click menus (even
    if there is a shortcut to be able to acomplish the same task).

    Perform a "repair install".

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Anonymous" wrote:

    | Changing this only means that then I can not left click on
    | the desktop to open the menu, nor does it fix the problem
    | with the inability to create folders and the inability to
    | copy and paste between folders. Basically I can't do
    | anything that is linked with using right click menus (even
    | if there is a shortcut to be able to acomplish the same task).

    I tried this and it did nothing to help the problem. I
    still get the refresh when I right click on my desktop,
    or in any folder, instead of the options menu that should
    pull up.

    Possible problem with the Video Drivers. Get the latest
    drivers from the card manufacturer.

    "Chelle" <chelle@blue-pheonix.com> wrote in message
    > Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.
    > Recently I formated my computer and basically stated from
    > scratch with installations. I had XP pro on my machine
    > before this point and everything worked just fine. After
    > the format however I discovered that I couldn't right click
    > on my desktop and pull up the menu. It is as if I've
    > automatically selected the "arrange" option in the menu
    > that should be there. Connected with this problem is the
    > inability to copy and paste files between folders and the
    > inability to make new folders within the windows
    > environment (I can make new folders using something like my
    > FTP program). I used the upgrade from windows 98
    > (incidently in Windows 98 there isn't a single problem with
    > the exception that one of my games won't work). Origionally
    > it was thought that due to a bad CD ROM that things weren't
    > being installed properly. So, again I started over from
    > scratch (I had problems with uninstalling XP - it caused a
    > windows protection error) once I had a good ROM, but the
    > problem persisted and this time there were new ones, like
    > the fact that any game I install will load for a brief
    > moment and then crash without error.
    >
    > Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what might be the
    > problem here? I'm thinking the problems are all connected,
    > at least it seems that way. Thanks in advance.

    ---

    Thought of that too, I have the absolute latest drivers
    available for the GeForce2.

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    10/5/2004

    >.

    Also, the settings I have and the hardware, drivers, and
    everything else except the CD ROM now are all the same as
    when everything was actually working just fine. XP was
    like this off of install this time and has been with each
    attempted install since.

Desktops Windows XP