cannot right click on desktop

October 5, 2004 5:10:56 PM

Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.
Recently I formated my computer and basically stated from
scratch with installations. I had XP pro on my machine
before this point and everything worked just fine. After
the format however I discovered that I couldn't right click
on my desktop and pull up the menu. It is as if I've
automatically selected the "arrange" option in the menu
that should be there. Connected with this problem is the
inability to copy and paste files between folders and the
inability to make new folders within the windows
environment (I can make new folders using something like my
FTP program). I used the upgrade from windows 98
(incidently in Windows 98 there isn't a single problem with
the exception that one of my games won't work). Origionally
it was thought that due to a bad CD ROM that things weren't
being installed properly. So, again I started over from
scratch (I had problems with uninstalling XP - it caused a
windows protection error) once I had a good ROM, but the
problem persisted and this time there were new ones, like
the fact that any game I install will load for a brief
moment and then crash without error.

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what might be the
problem here? I'm thinking the problems are all connected,
at least it seems that way. Thanks in advance.

More about : click desktop

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:17:08 PM

Open your Control Panel, open the Mouse folder,
look under the Buttons tab, and set the Right button
to "Right-click (default)".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Chelle" wrote:

| Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.
| Recently I formated my computer and basically stated from
| scratch with installations. I had XP pro on my machine
| before this point and everything worked just fine. After
| the format however I discovered that I couldn't right click
| on my desktop and pull up the menu. It is as if I've
| automatically selected the "arrange" option in the menu
| that should be there. Connected with this problem is the
| inability to copy and paste files between folders and the
| inability to make new folders within the windows
| environment (I can make new folders using something like my
| FTP program). I used the upgrade from windows 98
| (incidently in Windows 98 there isn't a single problem with
| the exception that one of my games won't work). Origionally
| it was thought that due to a bad CD ROM that things weren't
| being installed properly. So, again I started over from
| scratch (I had problems with uninstalling XP - it caused a
| windows protection error) once I had a good ROM, but the
| problem persisted and this time there were new ones, like
| the fact that any game I install will load for a brief
| moment and then crash without error.
|
| Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what might be the
| problem here? I'm thinking the problems are all connected,
| at least it seems that way. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:17:09 PM

Changing this only means that then I can not left click on
the desktop to open the menu, nor does it fix the problem
with the inability to create folders and the inability to
copy and paste between folders. Basically I can't do
anything that is linked with using right click menus (even
if there is a shortcut to be able to acomplish the same task).

October 5, 2004 7:52:04 PM

Perform a "repair install".

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Anonymous" wrote:

| Changing this only means that then I can not left click on
| the desktop to open the menu, nor does it fix the problem
| with the inability to create folders and the inability to
| copy and paste between folders. Basically I can't do
| anything that is linked with using right click menus (even
| if there is a shortcut to be able to acomplish the same task).
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:52:05 PM

I tried this and it did nothing to help the problem. I
still get the refresh when I right click on my desktop,
or in any folder, instead of the options menu that should
pull up.

aspx

------------------

>"Anonymous" wrote:
>
>| Changing this only means that then I can not left
click on
>| the desktop to open the menu, nor does it fix the
problem
>| with the inability to create folders and the inability
>| copy and paste between folders. Basically I can't do
>| anything that is linked with using right click menus
(even
>| if there is a shortcut to be able to acomplish the
same task).

>.

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:46:41 PM

Possible problem with the Video Drivers. Get the latest
drivers from the card manufacturer.

"Chelle" <chelle@blue-pheonix.com> wrote in message
> Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.
> Recently I formated my computer and basically stated from
> scratch with installations. I had XP pro on my machine
> before this point and everything worked just fine. After
> the format however I discovered that I couldn't right click
> on my desktop and pull up the menu. It is as if I've
> automatically selected the "arrange" option in the menu
> that should be there. Connected with this problem is the
> inability to copy and paste files between folders and the
> inability to make new folders within the windows
> environment (I can make new folders using something like my
> FTP program). I used the upgrade from windows 98
> (incidently in Windows 98 there isn't a single problem with
> the exception that one of my games won't work). Origionally
> it was thought that due to a bad CD ROM that things weren't
> being installed properly. So, again I started over from
> scratch (I had problems with uninstalling XP - it caused a
> windows protection error) once I had a good ROM, but the
> problem persisted and this time there were new ones, like
> the fact that any game I install will load for a brief
> moment and then crash without error.
>
> Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what might be the
> problem here? I'm thinking the problems are all connected,
> at least it seems that way. Thanks in advance.

---
October 5, 2004 11:46:42 PM

Thought of that too, I have the absolute latest drivers
available for the GeForce2.

(http://www.grisoft.com).
10/5/2004

>.

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 1:37:46 PM

Also, the settings I have and the hardware, drivers, and
everything else except the CD ROM now are all the same as
when everything was actually working just fine. XP was
like this off of install this time and has been with each
attempted install since.

!