i need some advice

G

forgive me for my bad question last time i will get this one better .

first off heres what i need for my pc to run and support.

1. Gaming ( very important )
2. programs ( not important )
3. systems run stable
4. support for Geforce AGP 4x
5. sdram PC133 only
6. speed is allso important for me
7. money is no issue here
8. this is the CPU i have choosen :Athlon Thunderbird 1200MHz Socket A / FSB 266MHz

i need a mainboard there can run with this cpu stable with out problems so i like to ask u out there what is your expiance and what suggestions can u give

i hope this message is good to u to answer to i hope it isn to much alike to others but probelry is but let me know id i need to change enything or u need more info
thanks.
and excuse my bad english :(

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey M,
Nice post. Right now all I can suggest is the "ECS K7S5A". This is not the best MB, but you have chosen a T-bird with the "266 fsb" and "PC 133 sd-ram". I don't think the better MB's with PC 133 support can run the 266 fsb T-birds. This leaves your DDR MB's with additional "SD-Ram Slots" as your only solution. Of all the reviews that I have read this ECS MB w/ the SiS 735 chipset performs the best of any MB running SD-Ram. Question though..... if money is no issue, why not run DDR ram? As for problems and stabillty of the ECS K7S5A, as long as you don't try to tweak it(over-clock), it is a decent no frills MB. It's very new though so not many negative posts have come up yet. The other down side of this MB, is it only has 2 DDR slots & 2 SD-Ram slots..... is that enough for you? I hope this helps.
Peace Out...........tile

looking forward to a lifetime of tweakends

G

I have just upgraded to 266FSB using the ABit KG7-Raid MoBo. I love it! However, I am using PC2100 (DDR) RAM and suggest you do the same if you have 266 FSB

G

hi thanks for u reply again :) ok i like to try out the ddr ram u speak of what mb will u suggest then
sorry for asking this stupid question:(

G

Unfortunately, I am not a good resource to compare motherboards. I just upgraded to Abit's KG7-Raid and it seems to be pretty solid and easy to set up. HOwever, only 2 of the 4 USB ports work right (Expansion USB works fine, but the 2 main USB ports wont recognize devices unless I un-plug them and then plug them in again??? I'm assuming I'll find an answer to this quirk, and then can say I am completely happy with this ABit board.

(1.4G Athlon, 256MB unregistered, PC2100 RAM in mine)

G

im soon getting the Asus A7M266, which is sposed to be a good DDR board, the Asus A7V266 should be pritty good to (& its newer, different chipset & so on), but i havnt read any reviews on it yet

hope that helps a bit =)

G

The :
Abit.KG7 board is the best of the moment with soft/bios overclocking, and 4 dimm slots.
Epox.8K7A board is a good manual overclocker and very stable
Gigabyte.GA7DXR is also very good.
Why not go for the 1.4ghz Tbird instead?
The Asus A7M266 is multiplier locked so no major overclocking here, but is a very stable player.
All are DDR and AMD compatable

Medication helps :smile:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I know you asked for SDRAM 133 only, but to provide you with a secondary option that you asked for information about DDR SDR M/B's, here are a couple of choices.

1. Asus <A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/socketa/a7m266/index.html" target="_new">A7M266</A>, 2 slot DDR <b>only</b>
2. Epox <A HREF="http://www.epox.com/html/english/products/motherboard/ep-8kha.asp" target="_new">EP-8KHA, Rev 1.3]</A>, 3 slot DDR <b>only</b>

By the way, very nice post. I wish everyone would model your decision-making process before investing in a new PC.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
If you are looking for a PC133 only board using the KT133a chipset, nothing can beat the Iwill KK266 Plus (raid optional) and the Asus A7v133.

For DDR, you might want to wait a while for a top-tier motherboard maker to make a board with much more features than the ECS.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey M,
I was going to recommend the Abit or Gigabyte MB's like a lot of others.....but I just read Tom's article on the new Via KT266A chipset. By the looks of this chipset review, this might be the chipset of choice until the Nvidia Nforce comes out(hopefully in Oct.).When do you need to build this PC? It will most likely take a couple of months until we see retail MB's out with this KT266A chipset. Another thing is a lot of people think "Via" is the worst brand of chipset makers(as far as stabillity, driver support, and performance goes)........ the same is said of SiS. I have had good luck with both brands as will as AMD chipsets. If you have to build a system right now, check out all the old posts on the Abit, Gigabyte and Epox DDR MB's & read Tom's articles on the AMD 761 chipset MB's and DDR MB's, and make your decision. If you do not do any heavy tweaking and are coming off using a much slower CPU, you most likely won't notice a difference. There is no "Perfect" MB right now for any CPU, all you can do is make the best choice at the time you build your system. Oh yeah, also read the reviews on the ECS K7S5A, this is a very cheap MB($65ish) and does not provide much for the serious OC'er....but if you don't plan to OC it will save you money that you can spend on a better Video Card. Good luck.
Peace Out..........tile

looking forward to a lifetime of tweakends

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
You said that money is not an issue.
Why not go with DDR memory then?
Price of PC133 is almost the same as DDR and at a
same time you will get better performance.

G

I thank you all for the suggestions i have found them all use full thanks