Task Scheduling Defragment

Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate Disk
Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"

I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has to
research the use of this auto defragment feature.

I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article to run
every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I have programs
and documents up when defragment runs automatically can I cause any
problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not touch open programs and
documents. The article did not speak to this. Thanks, Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about task scheduling defragment

    Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to defrag *every* night?
    That seems a little bit much to me.

    Yes open programs *could* cause problems. You can have a conflict with
    defrag trying to get to a badly defragmented file that may be in use.

    Analyzing before defragmenting
    [[Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a volume, a
    dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files and folders on the
    volume and recommends whether to defragment the volume. Analyze volumes
    regularly and defragment them only when Disk Defragmenter recommends it. A
    good guideline is to analyze volumes at least once a week. If you seldom
    need to defragment volumes, analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly. ]]

    Analyzing after large numbers of files are added
    [[Volumes might become excessively fragmented when users add a large number
    of files or folders, so be sure to analyze volumes after this happens.
    Generally, volumes on busy file servers should be defragmented more often
    than those on single-user workstations. ]]

    Of course running defrag before installing software and after installing
    software is a good idea.

    Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_oegv.asp?frame=true

    Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ckyh.asp?frame=true

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:O160vQzqEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate
    > Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"
    >
    > I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has to
    > research the use of this auto defragment feature.
    >
    > I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article
    > to run every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I
    > have programs and documents up when defragment runs automatically can
    > I cause any problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not touch
    > open programs and documents. The article did not speak to this.
    > Thanks, Mike

    Well I am currently defragmenting once a week, but figured since I was
    automating the task why not defrag every night. I use my computer 16 hours
    a day so I like to keep it in shape but you are right, every night is
    excessive, and I do run into problems with programs open. WHen I defrag
    manually I close as much as I can including virus checkers, etc. Ill check
    the links you provided thanks for the response. Mike

    > Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to defrag *every* night?
    > That seems a little bit much to me.
    >
    > Yes open programs *could* cause problems. You can have a conflict with
    > defrag trying to get to a badly defragmented file that may be in use.
    >
    > Analyzing before defragmenting
    > [[Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a volume, a
    > dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files and folders on the
    > volume and recommends whether to defragment the volume. Analyze volumes
    > regularly and defragment them only when Disk Defragmenter recommends it. A
    > good guideline is to analyze volumes at least once a week. If you seldom
    > need to defragment volumes, analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly. ]]
    >
    > Analyzing after large numbers of files are added
    > [[Volumes might become excessively fragmented when users add a large
    > number
    > of files or folders, so be sure to analyze volumes after this happens.
    > Generally, volumes on busy file servers should be defragmented more often
    > than those on single-user workstations. ]]
    >
    > Of course running defrag before installing software and after installing
    > software is a good idea.
    >
    > Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_oegv.asp?frame=true
    >
    > Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ckyh.asp?frame=true
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:O160vQzqEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate
    >> Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"
    >>
    >> I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has to
    >> research the use of this auto defragment feature.
    >>
    >> I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article
    >> to run every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I
    >> have programs and documents up when defragment runs automatically can
    >> I cause any problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not touch
    >> open programs and documents. The article did not speak to this.
    >> Thanks, Mike

    Mike or John Smith,

    This link has a bunch more links to defrag...
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&s=6&c=0&qu=Disk%20Defragmentation

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:ezkdtJ0qEHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Well I am currently defragmenting once a week, but figured since I was
    > automating the task why not defrag every night. I use my computer 16
    > hours a day so I like to keep it in shape but you are right, every
    > night is excessive, and I do run into problems with programs open.
    > WHen I defrag manually I close as much as I can including virus
    > checkers, etc. Ill check the links you provided thanks for the
    > response. Mike

    >> Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to defrag *every*
    >> night? That seems a little bit much to me.
    >>
    >> Yes open programs *could* cause problems. You can have a conflict
    >> with defrag trying to get to a badly defragmented file that may be
    >> in use.
    >>
    >> Analyzing before defragmenting
    >> [[Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a
    >> volume, a dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files
    >> and folders on the volume and recommends whether to defragment the
    >> volume. Analyze volumes regularly and defragment them only when Disk
    >> Defragmenter recommends it. A good guideline is to analyze volumes
    >> at least once a week. If you seldom need to defragment volumes,
    >> analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly. ]]
    >>
    >> Analyzing after large numbers of files are added
    >> [[Volumes might become excessively fragmented when users add a large
    >> number
    >> of files or folders, so be sure to analyze volumes after this
    >> happens. Generally, volumes on busy file servers should be
    >> defragmented more often than those on single-user workstations. ]]
    >>
    >> Of course running defrag before installing software and after
    >> installing software is a good idea.
    >>
    >> Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_oegv.asp?frame=true

    >> Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ckyh.asp?frame=true

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:O160vQzqEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate
    >>> Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"
    >>>
    >>> I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has
    >>> to research the use of this auto defragment feature.
    >>>
    >>> I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article
    >>> to run every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I
    >>> have programs and documents up when defragment runs automatically
    >>> can I cause any problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not
    >>> touch open programs and documents. The article did not speak to
    >>> this. Thanks, Mike

    Wesley, thanks for that link I learned a lot about defragment. I just
    cancelled the auto defragment under Task Scheduling as it is potentially
    problematic if applications, documents, virus checkers, etc are open. I
    will continue my manual defrag habits. The Task Scheduling feature is so
    tempting to use, I love it, for auto Backups. Thanks, and its Mike not John
    Smith lol

    Mike,

    Keep having fun! ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23kfnyJ8qEHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley, thanks for that link I learned a lot about defragment. I just
    > cancelled the auto defragment under Task Scheduling as it is
    > potentially problematic if applications, documents, virus checkers,
    > etc are open. I will continue my manual defrag habits. The Task
    > Scheduling feature is so tempting to use, I love it, for auto
    > Backups. Thanks, and its Mike not John Smith lol

    >> Mike or John Smith,
    >>
    >> This link has a bunch more links to defrag...

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&s=6&c=0&qu=Disk%20Defragmentation

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:ezkdtJ0qEHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Well I am currently defragmenting once a week, but figured since I
    >>> was automating the task why not defrag every night. I use my
    >>> computer 16 hours a day so I like to keep it in shape but you are
    >>> right, every night is excessive, and I do run into problems with
    >>> programs open. WHen I defrag manually I close as much as I can
    >>> including virus checkers, etc. Ill check the links you provided
    >>> thanks for the response. Mike

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_oegv.asp?frame=true

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ckyh.asp?frame=true

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP