Task Scheduling Defragment

October 5, 2004 11:36:47 PM

Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate Disk
Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"

I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has to
research the use of this auto defragment feature.

I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article to run
every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I have programs
and documents up when defragment runs automatically can I cause any
problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not touch open programs and
documents. The article did not speak to this. Thanks, Mike
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:36:48 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to defrag *every* night?
That seems a little bit much to me.

Yes open programs *could* cause problems. You can have a conflict with
defrag trying to get to a badly defragmented file that may be in use.

Analyzing before defragmenting
[[Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a volume, a
dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files and folders on the
volume and recommends whether to defragment the volume. Analyze volumes
regularly and defragment them only when Disk Defragmenter recommends it. A
good guideline is to analyze volumes at least once a week. If you seldom
need to defragment volumes, analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly. ]]

Analyzing after large numbers of files are added
[[Volumes might become excessively fragmented when users add a large number
of files or folders, so be sure to analyze volumes after this happens.
Generally, volumes on busy file servers should be defragmented more often
than those on single-user workstations. ]]

Of course running defrag before installing software and after installing
software is a good idea.

Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:o 160vQzqEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate
> Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"
>
> I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has to
> research the use of this auto defragment feature.
>
> I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article
> to run every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I
> have programs and documents up when defragment runs automatically can
> I cause any problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not touch
> open programs and documents. The article did not speak to this.
> Thanks, Mike
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 1:18:43 AM

Well I am currently defragmenting once a week, but figured since I was
automating the task why not defrag every night. I use my computer 16 hours
a day so I like to keep it in shape but you are right, every night is
excessive, and I do run into problems with programs open. WHen I defrag
manually I close as much as I can including virus checkers, etc. Ill check
the links you provided thanks for the response. Mike

news:o 73GbE0qEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to defrag *every* night?
> That seems a little bit much to me.
>
> Yes open programs *could* cause problems. You can have a conflict with
> defrag trying to get to a badly defragmented file that may be in use.
>
> Analyzing before defragmenting
> [[Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a volume, a
> dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files and folders on the
> volume and recommends whether to defragment the volume. Analyze volumes
> regularly and defragment them only when Disk Defragmenter recommends it. A
> good guideline is to analyze volumes at least once a week. If you seldom
> need to defragment volumes, analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly. ]]
>
> Analyzing after large numbers of files are added
> [[Volumes might become excessively fragmented when users add a large
> number
> of files or folders, so be sure to analyze volumes after this happens.
> Generally, volumes on busy file servers should be defragmented more often
> than those on single-user workstations. ]]
>
> Of course running defrag before installing software and after installing
> software is a good idea.
>
> Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:o 160vQzqEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate
>> Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"
>>
>> I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has to
>> research the use of this auto defragment feature.
>>
>> I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article
>> to run every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I
>> have programs and documents up when defragment runs automatically can
>> I cause any problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not touch
>> open programs and documents. The article did not speak to this.
>> Thanks, Mike

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 1:18:44 AM

Mike or John Smith,

This link has a bunch more links to defrag...
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&Vi...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:ezkdtJ0qEHA.2796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Well I am currently defragmenting once a week, but figured since I was
> automating the task why not defrag every night. I use my computer 16
> hours a day so I like to keep it in shape but you are right, every
> night is excessive, and I do run into problems with programs open.
> WHen I defrag manually I close as much as I can including virus
> checkers, etc. Ill check the links you provided thanks for the
> response. Mike

> news:o 73GbE0qEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to defrag *every*
>> night? That seems a little bit much to me.
>>
>> Yes open programs *could* cause problems. You can have a conflict
>> with defrag trying to get to a badly defragmented file that may be
>> in use.
>>
>> Analyzing before defragmenting
>> [[Analyze volumes before defragmenting them. After analyzing a
>> volume, a dialog box tells you the percentage of fragmented files
>> and folders on the volume and recommends whether to defragment the
>> volume. Analyze volumes regularly and defragment them only when Disk
>> Defragmenter recommends it. A good guideline is to analyze volumes
>> at least once a week. If you seldom need to defragment volumes,
>> analyze volumes monthly instead of weekly. ]]
>>
>> Analyzing after large numbers of files are added
>> [[Volumes might become excessively fragmented when users add a large
>> number
>> of files or folders, so be sure to analyze volumes after this
>> happens. Generally, volumes on busy file servers should be
>> defragmented more often than those on single-user workstations. ]]
>>
>> Of course running defrag before installing software and after
>> installing software is a good idea.
>>
>> Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

>> Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:o 160vQzqEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> John Smith <recons@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi, I used the Community Solutions Article 555098 "How to Automate
>>> Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler in Windows XP"
>>>
>>> I was a little worried about the BOLD disclaimer and decided I has
>>> to research the use of this auto defragment feature.
>>>
>>> I set up the automatic defragmenter exactly as stated in the article
>>> to run every night at 8 PM when my machine was fairly dorment. If I
>>> have programs and documents up when defragment runs automatically
>>> can I cause any problems, crashes, etc or will defragment just not
>>> touch open programs and documents. The article did not speak to
>>> this. Thanks, Mike
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 4:35:06 PM

Wesley, thanks for that link I learned a lot about defragment. I just
cancelled the auto defragment under Task Scheduling as it is potentially
problematic if applications, documents, virus checkers, etc are open. I
will continue my manual defrag habits. The Task Scheduling feature is so
tempting to use, I love it, for auto Backups. Thanks, and its Mike not John
Smith lol

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 8:11:49 PM

Mike,