Moving to Michigan...Alltel or VW

I presently live in Baltimore, MD; however, within the next 6 months, my
wife and I are moving to Traverse City, Michigan. At the present time, I
have Verizon Wireless service and it works reasonably well in Traverse. I
have been told by many in the TC area that Alltel is the best service in the
area. Since Verizon doesn't actually service TC and has a partnership with
Alltel, would it be to my advantage to switch over? Fortunately, my VW
contract is up in a couple of months. What should I do? Would I still be
able to access the internet using my cell as a modem if I went to Alltel?
What about the camera options?

Will wrote:
> I presently live in Baltimore, MD; however, within the next 6 months, my
> wife and I are moving to Traverse City, Michigan. At the present time, I
> have Verizon Wireless service and it works reasonably well in Traverse. I
> have been told by many in the TC area that Alltel is the best service in the
> area. Since Verizon doesn't actually service TC and has a partnership with
> Alltel, would it be to my advantage to switch over?

Verizon might not be happy about having to pay Alltel for 100% of your airtime
usage because you're roaming all the time. I don't know, however, what their
policy is on letting you continue service in an area where they don't provide
it themselves.

> contract is up in a couple of months. What should I do? Would I still be
> able to access the internet using my cell as a modem if I went to Alltel?
> What about the camera options?

Everything that works on Verizon should work on Alltel; they use the same
technology. It's possible that you'll have to get a new phone, though.

I'd stick with Verizon. I understand Alltel has a policy that if over 50% of
your usage turns out to be in an extended area (ie, Verizon towers on an
Alltel plan) then they bill you for roaming charges or what not. Where as, I
have never had roaming charges even when 100% of my usage on a Verizon plan
is on extended network towers such as Alltel & Thumb Cellular. (I live out
in Michigan's Thumb area.)

-Jeff

"Will" <faganstwist@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I presently live in Baltimore, MD; however, within the next 6 months, my
> wife and I are moving to Traverse City, Michigan. At the present time, I
> have Verizon Wireless service and it works reasonably well in Traverse. I
> have been told by many in the TC area that Alltel is the best service in
> the
> area. Since Verizon doesn't actually service TC and has a partnership
> with
> Alltel, would it be to my advantage to switch over? Fortunately, my VW
> contract is up in a couple of months. What should I do? Would I still
> be able to access the internet using my cell as a modem if I went to
> Alltel? What about the camera options?

If I were you I'd keep the Verizon phones until I travel there and see how
the service is.
In the meantime, I would *not* buy a new phone, change my plan, or do
anything that
could extend your existing contract. This preserves both options.

Ultimately, I'm always happier on the carrier with native service because I
like
"extended services" like text messaging, or having my voicemail indicator
work.
These and other "extended services" fail to work when roaming in Oregon.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu