johnnyboy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2004
I was shopping on Newegg for Windows XP Pro when I noticed Windows XP 64bit Pro.

Is it worth shelling out the extra twenty bucks? The reviews on newegg love it, but I thought I'd get your guys' opinions.

So you have an idea of my rig/what I use it for: I have an AMD 2800+ 64bit, 1gb ram, plenty of hard drive space, and a MSI neo platinum motherboard. I'm a big gamer, and am pursuing and engineering degree.

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I believe that if you already possess XP PRO that you can upgrade to 64-bit for free.

There will be problems with drivers and applications for sometime until software is written to support 64-bit. Until then you might have some problems.

Heck, if you already possess a 64-bit chip then you might as well dive in unless some of the applications needed for school are not supported yet.

riser

Illustrious
I'd install 64 bit on a second computer if you have it. While a lot of people have said 64 runs fine.. I personally wouldn't jump into in on my main computer. I'd test it out, or create an image of my current working.

The driver problem might get you.. going to 64 is a little bit of a gamble.. chances are it'll work.. but there is that chance that something might go wrong.

But hey, burn and learn.

pat

Expert
It could be a good idea to check if all your devices has drivers ready for 64 bits.. Will be worthless if you cannot use your printer, scanner, ...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>